To all you mamas in tornado alley....

Please stay safe! I can't believe how hard your area is getting hit w/ all these severe storms & tornado outbreaks! It's so scary.

To make this a ques., I was wondering if you knew of places taking donations of gently used children's clothing & toys? My 11 y/o wants to donate to the kids in OK. The Red Cross wants $$ & the ISIHO Impact wants cleaning supplies & gift cards. Have any organizations been giving out other things needed?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:52 AM on May. 31, 2013 in About CafeMom

• they dont need clothes. most places here keep a large closet of donated clothes. when the tornadoes struck they gave those clothes out and us locals donated clothes that will end up restocking those closets. it takes a lot of ppl to sort thru all the clothes by size & type, and those ppl are busy doing other volunteer work right now. maybe there is a local shelter that could use the clothes? ppl everywhere need help and it could be given in the spirit of the victims of the ok tornadoes.

thanks for thinking about those of us in the alley. its nice to know others are watching out for us :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:54 AM on May. 31, 2013

• From what I understand, it costs too much to ship clothes, and used clothes is the first thing people donate locally. And many times 'they' get so many that it takes a lot of man power to sort and distribute. We just upgraded my daughter's carseat, so I'm gonna donate her old one and I have tons of infant cereal that I'm gonna donate too.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:16 AM on May. 31, 2013

• How about donating to a local women's shelter?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:19 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Thumbs up to your daughter for her giving spirit. You're raising her right, Mom.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I swear I'm like one tornado away from needing some anti anxiety medication lol. I hate this. I hope nothing happens today, but it's not looking too good :(
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 3:28 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Keeping track of Storms links

http://kfor.com/on-air/live-streaming/

The weather Channel Live Stream

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/live-stream

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 10:18 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Best to just donate to the Redcross or Salvation Army, $$$. They can get the right stuff to the area. Now our Army Post (Fort Sill) Sent a Truck full of food up their. We have a donation boxes at out Commissary.
    We are suppose to have bad weathertoday too. I am hoping it bypasses us like it did yesterday.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on May. 31, 2013