DH got me a new laptop. How is the best way to get all my files off the desktop onto the laptop?

Also, I have an external hard-drive for pics, etc. how can I access those files with the laptop? I don't have wifi. Plan on keeping the desktop for kids. Should I invest in wifi?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 31, 2013 in Technology

• plug the external into the PC then transfer the files
    then plug the external into the laptop and viola
    access

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:29 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Like Feral said, back up the one, plug in and dump into the other. I have a Clickfree that does it all automatically. I love that thing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:34 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Wi Fi has nothing to do with transferring files, but you'll need it if you want internet!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:37 AM on May. 31, 2013

• You can also buy a transfer cable and connect the laptop to the computer and transfer that way.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:39 AM on May. 31, 2013

• The easiest way I've found to transfer files is with a flash drive. Just plug it into the old computer and copy the files on it, plug it into the new machine, and paste them where you want them. I have a wireless home network so a laptop can access it without being plugged into anything, but I've never really seen the need to get wi Fi. I'm assuming you have the Internet on your desktop now, with a modem hooked up. All you have to do is get a wireless modem, then set up any computers you want on it with passwords.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Can you copy the whole C: off the old computer? Would I want to? My old one is a 2004 Windows XP 32 GB. The new laptop is a Windows 8 with 500 GB.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2013