Is it normal for my 18 month old to sleep a lot?

My 18 month old is a real active child. He cannot sit in one place for more than a minute if he is playing. He sleeps about 7 - 8 hrs in night. Then during the day he takes 2-3 naps of 2 hours atleast. Is it ok for him to sleep so much?

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 11:52 AM on May. 31, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats pretty normal. kids at that age have brains that are growing and learning so much ALL the time that they need lots of sleep to recharge.

think about it like this...if you were to spend the entire day around ppl who spoke a language you dont know but are trying to learn thru immersion only, you were constantly experiencing new things, you were learning foreign social cues, your imagination is just starting to take up brain space, and your brain and body dont quite work in sync yet...youd be tired too haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:24 PM on May. 31, 2013

• That's only 14 hours of sleep time/day. Thats completely normal.

Answer by missanc at 12:05 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Yes, mine are the same way. Thank goodness for naps! Yea!! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:54 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Definitely normal. Toddlers need lots of sleep. My 12 month old DD sleeps 16-18hrs a day. She sleeps almost 12 hrs at night and has 2 2-3 hrs naps a day. Wish my 3yr old still slept like that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:14 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Sounds normal to me. Count your blessings. If you're worried, talk to your doctor, but tots need a lot of sleep because they're growing like crazy and that takes loads of energy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 PM on May. 31, 2013