Have you ever been prescribed percocet for tooth pain?

i went to the dentist today and unfortunately they could not pull my top and bottom wisdom teeth because a.) they're too close to my sinuses and b.)the bottom one is impacted so they referred me to an oral surgeon. in the meantime i was given antibiotics because the bottom one is severely infected. i think i got about 2 hours of sleep last night, and have been weeping on and off lol the pain is so bad it takes over my mind and i can hardly function. anyway im one of those people that tries everything else before they resort to medication. he prescribed me percocet and motrin 800. i still have vicodin here from months ago that i never touched. the motrin 800 wore off within 3 hours and i was so desperate i took the vicodin, which took an hour to kick in and feels like it already may be tapering off after just 10 minutes of relief :( its the weaker strength of vicodin though. idk, i was given percocet after my c-sections and though it helped for the pain in the beginning, it eventually made me wake up gasping for air and started to make me feel high so im pretty reserved about taking it. as much pain as i'm in, i don't think it's severe enough for something as strong as percocet.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:35 PM on May. 31, 2013 in Health

• I think I got Vicodin when I got my wisdom teeth out. I took half of one pill and it made me throw up so I stuck with Tylenol. I did not have the kind of pain you are dealing with. DH got his wisdom teeth out last year and had horrible pain and infection. He was prescribed hydrocodone by three different Drs. One was his oral surgeon, one was his dentist and one was the ER urgent care Dr. They were all called something else on the Rx that was written, but I guess that is the generic for whatever was on the Rx order. I'm sure I got flagged in the pharmacy system. He couldn't handle them, they made him sick when he was coming down off of it and they gave him a horrendous headache. Keep it cold. One of the Drs told I'm to alternate heat and cold and the heat made his face swell really bad and made the pain worse. NO HEAT!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:51 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Yes I had it prescribed for a "hot" tooth awaiting a root canal. Then when the root canal failed a few years later and the tooth was abscessed, I had it prescribed after the tooth was pulled. Don't let your pain get ahead of you though. Sometimes all the narcotics out there don't help tooth pain. Hope you feel better.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:04 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I don't know about anybody else but tooth pain is some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I had a root canal about 2 yrs ago, and my dentist prescribed Percocet for the pain. I took like 2 or 3 of them though; I can't function on prescription painkillers, so I typically use OTC pain relievers.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:11 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I can't answer this one really.

I do want to say that I am sorry you are in so much pain. The antibiotics should get ahold son and I hope it gives you some relief
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:30 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I have Percocet as a last resort for migraines. I take 1 Treximet. If that doesn't kill it I take another in an hour. If that doesn't work I take a Percocet. If THAT doesn't work, I'm told I have to go immediately to the hospital. (that hasn't happened yet)

I love the way it feels when it kicks in, but I don't get much rest because the Percocet makes me itch. I wake up clawing myself. I've taken them once or twice for a pulled back muscle, but a month's prescription last me a year.

My hubby was given Vicodin for an ear infection once, and he needed it. He was the same as you- couldn't function because of the pain!

Just take them, lay down (if someone can watch kids) and feel better!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:40 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I was offered a prescription for it but did not take it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:38 PM on May. 31, 2013

• After I had my wisdom teeth out the summer before senior year... I took maybe 2 out of the whole prescription. I didn't like taking pain meds then and still don't. I just numbed everything with ice, popsicles, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:43 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I used Percoset a couple of times after my C-section, but never for tooth pain. I didn't have trouble with Percoset, but I've had to resort to some pretty strong painkillers for fibromyalgia and migraines over the years, so maybe I'm more used to the effects than some people. I wouldn't use it unless the pain is to the point where it will drive you out of your mind, the way it can be with a migraine, or if it is something chronic and you just need a break from it now and then. Tooth pain doesn't sound to me like it fits either description, but only you can decide that for sure.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:51 PM on May. 31, 2013

• On second thouht, after reading your question more closely--sorry--it may be to the point when you are miserable enough to try the Percoset. Could you take half and see if that does the trick?

Half a pill, I mean.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:54 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I have never tried it. I think they gave me Vicodin when I got my teeth pulled.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:58 PM on May. 31, 2013