Should the government regulate baby names? (Spin-off to Dardenella's question about unique names.)

In many First World countries even today, people must choose the names of their children from government-approved lists. I recently read a survey on Polling Point, which seems to no longer be available on the site, that said 63 percent of Americans believe the government should not get any say in what names people give to their babies. I agree, as sorry as I feel for the girls named Anally and the boys named Emperor. But that means 37 percent of people, or thereabouts if the survey included "I don't know" as an answer, believe the government should be able to ban names or force people to use lists of those they approve. So what about you all?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:30 PM on May. 31, 2013 in Baby Names

• no, that would be controlling

but how about a big fine for stupid names...that i could vote for...lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:28 PM on May. 31, 2013

• No, I am not a fan of the idea that government should get involved. I wish there was some social pressure on the parents not to do something so foolish. I wish that "stars" would also think these things through a bit and give a better example but lol if wishes were horses.....

I knew a boy named Agony because he put his mother through 3 days of hell. He went by his middle name...James.
    Thank goodness his father got that much of a say in it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:35 PM on May. 31, 2013

• No. As much as I hate some of these names, I'm not a fan of wasting time and money to make stupid laws that the government shouldn't make to prevent people from doing stuff that they don't have enough common sense not to do. At least a person can change a name down the road.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:44 PM on May. 31, 2013

• No. I made the baby (okay, my ex "helped" lol), I carried the baby, I pushed the baby into this world (or got cut open so he could get here), I get to pick his name. Now granted, I had enough common sense to know that I should name my kid something relatively normal and spell it properly (or at least in a way that makes sense), but still...naming your kids is one of those things that you get to do. No one else should get to tell you what you can name your kids - not your family, or friends, or the government.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:01 PM on May. 31, 2013

• No, but they should regulate who is allowed to breed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:07 PM on May. 31, 2013

• if the government was dictating names in America (since so many people think this is a Christian country) Shoshanna probably wouldn't have made the grade.

And in regards to "American" names Tegan and Rhiannon (Welsh) seem to be a hard sale too.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:38 PM on May. 31, 2013

• The American government already has too much of a strangle hold on the people. They need to back the fuck OUT of my house and how I raise my kids, and get back to the business of running this broke-ass country so my kids have something to take pride in again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:13 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Im Curious as to what countries have to choose from a list of approved names! Sounds like communism.

No, I dont think the government should have a say, one persons unique is not the next persons. I could understand if some moron wanted to call their child a cuss word or something but outside of that its the parents decision.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• No, the government should not have a say in what I name my child.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• LOL we would have the national debt paid off in not time. ROFLOL

And my generation was no better. I mean really Dweezel and Moon Rocket?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:45 PM on May. 31, 2013