What do you think of this punishment? Is it fair?

My stepson is taking a math class in summer school. Apparently the teacher thought he hadn't turned in his homework today, and because of that, he assigned my stepson a hundred extra math problems to do over the weekend. My stepson argued, claiming he had turned in his homework, and the argument escalated because he has anger issues that we're well aware of. So he probably did get defensive and belligerent. My stepson said he was going to leave, and the teacher said if he left, he could just stay gone because he'd be kicked out of the summer school class, since to get in he had to be recommended for extra help by the district. My stepson said he didn't give a shit and stormed out. I guess the school called his mom and she convinced the teacher to let him back into the class on Monday, much to his disappointment. The reason he got a second chance is because the teacher found the homework, which my stepson had in fact turned in. But now the teacher wants him to still do the hundred problems over the weekend, as a punishment for cussing and storming out of class. I think some punishment would be appropriate but a hundred problems that will take a couple of hours seems to me like a bit much, especially since the teacher found the missing homework. So what do you all think?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2013 in

• I have to agree with NannyB
    I understand that he has issues with his anger so did and do I.
    I learned to control it and would never have thought of abusing a teacher like this because for one thing I would have gotten punished at home as well as at school.
    What punishment did his mother set for his behavior? Anything.
    I can understand his anger but that is no excuse. Is this how he is to behave with an employer who makes a mistake and/ or treats him a little unfairly (at least to his way of thinking)? This is the time to be teaching these lessons.
    Normally I would suggest the teacher give a different punishment than the one imposed for "not doing the work", but since he is there to learn the math he needs to catch up and only that , the teacher doesn't have too many choices.
    I do think they are going to have to work this out but he does need to do the extra to get back into the class which lakes him the winner.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I think he got off easy for cussing out a teacher. I get that the teacher screwed up by not seeing the homework to begin with, but cussing and storming off, yeah not gonna fly.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:23 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I think it's more than fair. He's lucky he's being allowed to return to class after that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:26 PM on May. 31, 2013

• This would best be worked out between the teacher and him. It's a part of life, and we can't always fix everything for our children. He could learn a very valuable lesson about self-control as a result of this incident. It he were my child, I would just stay out of it except to encourage him to submit to the authority of his teacher.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:27 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I think the punishment is more than fair. Cussing out a teacher and storming out of class is often grounds for expulsion. He needs to do the problems and be grateful he didn't get worse.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:35 PM on May. 31, 2013

• I totally agree with Nanny B. on this one. I would encourage him to do the work because he mouthed off. I would also explain that in the future he should be calm, respectful and confident when knows he is in the right. When the truth comes out he won't have acted in a way that negates being proven right.

Teachers have misplaced DD's homework on occasion and she has been able to point it out respectfully and the problem gets resolved.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:52 PM on May. 31, 2013

• does the teacher have the right to kick the kid out?
    the kid was already admitted to the program
    and there wouldnt have been an argument if the teacher had done their job
    additionally what level of professionalism is this adult exhibiting when working with troubled teens that they are going to kick him (the teen) out for the his own (the teachers) failures?

just another viewpoint...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• I think it is a load of crap! Poor boy. I would have gotten mad too. I am an adult I would have handled it better of course but I see what his trigger was.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:24 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Does he have an IEP for emotional problems? The teacher created the situation by accusing him of not doing his work and lying about it. That was the trigger. The teacher should apologize for her mistake and talk and clear the air with him. Students respect teachers who own up to mistakes and are fair. The 100 math problems is just wrong!
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 11:32 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Life is simply not fair and trying to tell you child or step child that it is or should be is simply setting them up for anger and disappointment. IMO.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:40 PM on May. 31, 2013

Next question in
PTO Issues

Next question overall (Relationships)
Whats everyone up to tonight?