Can nonCatholics receive communion in a Catholic church? Youth leader wants everyone invited.

The youth leader wants the priest to invite everyone to come to communion. I don't think this is what church doctrine says. She says she wants all denominations included. She is a controlling person and seems to want to take over the church. She's been criticising the priest and making her own rules. I think she should start her own church. Should I talk with the priest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• No you cannot receive communioni if you are not a confirmed catholic. You can go and watch others and participate in the other church happenings but no communion.

The youth leader sounds like an overbearing moron. Talk with the priest.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Unfortunately, no. It's one reason I'm no longer Catholic. When my grandma had her funeral, a couple of her great grandchildren, just young kids, were going to carry the bread and whine up the aisle till the priest pitched a big old hissy fit. He said they could walk with the host, but they weren't allowed to even touch it because they weren't Catholic.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• You cannot receive Communion unless you are Catholic. I believe you may go up just to receive a blessing though. And what kind of youth leader tries that hard to go against church policy/teachings? That's just weird.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• No your not meant to, I mean they dont stop you if your a visitor and say "excuse me are you Catholic" .....but really Catholic or other religion I dont understamd why people would want to take communion in a church they arent a member of. I have never even thought of taking communion when I have visited or gone to a Church that wasnt my religion.

Sounds like the youth leader needs to stay in her place, concentrate on her job, everyone should be welcome to attend but why do they have to take communion?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Well, technically, no - you're not supposed to take communion unless you're Catholic. However, if you happen to take communion by accident, no one's going to know and there's no real consequence of it. I know some people who attend Catholic churches once in a while that aren't Catholic but still receive communion. It's not a crime but it's just not the way the rules work. The youth leader doesn't know what she's talking about. She can invite people to the mass but must advise them that only Catholics can receive communion. You can tell her this is straight from 2 priests I know. However, if she is controlling, you might just bring the matter up to the priest to correct her.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• So this person thinks she's going to get a priest to change the catechism for her? All she's going to do is get herself excommunicated.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Nope, not supposed to happen. You have to go through Confirmation and everything to get to take it. That's actually one of the reasons my mom likes the Methodist church better than the Catholic church (we used to be Catholic). She likes that the Methodist church is an open table.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• no. But anyone can at a Baptist church.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• The whole mass is centered around receiving communion. It is the most sacred and important part of the mass. There are very specific beliefs that you state before receiving communion. If you don't share these beliefs and what the Eucharist is than you shouldn't receive it. This is why the church asks non catholics to reframe from receiving the Holy Eucharist.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• You cannot receive Communion unless you are Catholic

Better alert the church in Colorado because I've received it more than once and I am not Catholic. I went to a few masses with a friend who was and they offered it so I took it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2013