I met a mom and her son in line at Target--not really a question, more of a vent, sort of ...

I was waiting in line at Target with a friend the other day. Behind us there was a young mom who had a little boy, maybe a year and a half or two. Anyway, he wasn't talking yet, still a toddler. The kid started to get whiny because the line was taking forever, which it was--I probably would have whined myself if I thought it would do any good. Several times, the mom scolded the boy, saying, "Oh you! You're just like your father! Just like him! Stop it already!"

I honestly felt sorry for the kid. I usually try to mind my own business, but the way the mom was ragging on the little guy was heartbreaking. So I asked her if I could give the boy a sucker from my purse. I always carry a few. She said yes, and then while the kid was eating it, she started talking about his dad. She hated the man. She didn't say why, and I didn't ask. She said her little boy looked exactly like him, and then she said he was like his dad in other ways, too. Had to get what he wanted all the time, and lazy. I'm thinking okay, the kid's a toddler. They all want their way.

The line finally moved and it was my turn, so I just said, "Toddlers all think the world revolves around them. Wait till he's a teenager."

But I've still got this poor kid on my mind. I'll never see him again, I'm sure. But man, he's going to have a tough life, raised by a mom who seems to be holding the sins of his father against him. So if you pray or send out good thoughts or light candles or whatever, keep this little man on your mind. He's gonna need it.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• See, I hate that. I can't stand my ex, but I don't punish my kids just for the fact that he's their father. That was my unfortunate choice, not theirs. And they have no control over whether they look like him, or sound like him or behave like him. I've always been very careful to not say anything bad to them about him, unless they ask me a specific question and the honest answer is a simple statement of fact. One time my 12 yr old (who's already made clear he's not interested knowing his father since he's been gone for almost 9 years) asked me my opinion about his father and I told him that when he's an adult, if he still wants to know, I'll tell him, but right now, he needs to form his own opinion.

That poor little boy is going to be so miserable if his mother doesn't stop acting like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• SO SAD! I hope she doesn't physically abuse him too! This is emotional abuse!

I will pray for him!
    ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• It is very disturbing to hear/see things like this. I will keep this boy (and his mom and dad) in my prayers. Llouise2, not all first time moms are like this. The level of maturity, responsibility and wisdom someone possesses has a huge impact on how they parent their children. She was lacking.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• That's awful. I hate when mothers hold it against their kid for looking like their fathers, the men they chose to sleep with and make a child with. It's THEIR fault.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Parents should never take out their relationship problems on their kids... it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. So now this young boy is going to grow up with a dysfunctional family and end up -- you guessed it -- exactly like his father. Good job mom (sarcasm)
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• On a brighter note, there were some kids singing their version of Taylor Swift songs at the store today and it was so cute! They kept saying, "Men are trouble, trouble, trouble.... We're never ever getting back together." They must've been only 3 or 4 years old.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• I pray for her to change her bitter heart to so she can be a better Mother to her son.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Aw, poor kid. That's really sad. It's really evil when parents project their feelings toward someone else onto their kids. She's just setting her kid up for a lifetime of therapy. No one is perfect, but geez.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Poor little guy,parents should never belittle their children's other parent in front of them no matter how bad the other was. My mom used to do that to me and it made me resent her. I will keep the little man in my thoughts and hopefully his mom was just having a bad day.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2013