Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What should my DH do about his employer?

My dh just got hired 2 weeks ago. It is a construction job. His employer does masonry and remodeling homes. Well my dh got hired at the same time 4 others did and they were all from Labor Ready and they got hired for remodeling only. Dh has years more experience than the others and was expecting to do mason work on top of the remodels. He has worked ONE day these past 2 weeks and his employer would keep saying he will have work for him the next day over and over. He says it is because of the permits and he is waiting on them. One of my dh's co-workers called today asking for a ride and it turns out that they having been working at the sites where he is waiting for the permits! My husband is pissed right now. On top of that his employer has been hounding him about going to these seminars about flipping homes that he has started with this woman. My dh thought he was the only one but it turns out the employer has been pushing the others has well to "get on it" His employer sounds like a scam artist to me. He doesn't get that my dh doesn't have money to flip houses with him and NEEDS work! I told him to go to the class tomorrow but talk to his employer about what is going on! Do you think he should say something to his employer? I mean how long is he suppose to wait for work?? I told him if he doesn't give him any hours next week he should look for another job.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • He better keep his ears open for new jobs. This sounds like a scam artist waiting to strike.

    Answer by Ballad at 1:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • This isn't a job I would look for another job. The employer sounds like a con man !

    Answer by Mermaid65 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • Yes, definitely look for another job regardless so that your DH can quit before he gets fired. I wouldn't stay working for a boss like this. Sounds like there's going to be a lot of drama and trouble ahead.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • I agree with all of you!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • Is he still going through Labor Ready? Or has he actually been hired by the place he was sent to? If he's still through Labor Ready, I would say he can just go back to them and tell them that he's not getting any work and they should send him someplace else. If he was actually hired by the place, here's the thing that would concern me: if he might need unemployment at any point in the next year or so, quitting this place might prevent that. So if the job market isn't too good around you I would say he really needs to find something else before he quits. He could also call Labor Ready and explain what's happening and see what they can do to help him. If he just quits, Labor Ready (I know they're a temp agency, but not sure how they operate) might frown on that, and he probably really wants to keep that door open.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • he need to go look for a different job. Sounds like to me.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • He should contact Labor Ready and let them know what's going on.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

  • No. After 3 days the guy hired on my dh and the other people except for an older man. My dh went to the class and he said it is a total scam they want 17,000 for a 2 year course about how to flip homes. My dh knows all that already and told his boss about how he feels and the no work. He says his boss wants to put him on the Mason crew and will call by Monday. He is going back to Labor Ready if he doesn't get a call by Monday morning.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.