Black mold in bathroom..... idk where to put this!

Ok so yesterday it was comfrmed there is black mold n the bathroom ofthe duplex I'm renting. My landlords plan of action is to take out the toilet nd cut and replace the dry wall and where the base bored is, so basically just where I found the mold! He didn't even bother having the rest of the house inspected!!! He didn't tell the guy next door who has sever health issues! My bathroom wall I believe is his kitchen. I have two young children 5&1 so what would you do in this situation?? My sister is takin the kids but I can't believe the landlord didnt tell the man next door!! Not to mention they won't even start this construction project til thurs of this week! My lease isn't up til feb 14, but no one knows how long the mold has been here so who knows where it has spread!!! Oh forgot to mention that the kids room is behind the bathroom!! What would you do? I'm thinking bout breaking my lease.

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would talk to the landlord and tell him if he doesn't fix the mold issue you will report him to the better business bureau or make a complaint where applicable, and if that doesn't work, break the lease...mold is dangerous.....

Answer by older at 10:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• He's a subcontractor with remax. So I'd assume I would start there... He is planning on getting it fixed and taken care of. The issue is how long its been here and where it has spread! Plus he didn't have the rest of the house inspected when they found it.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Mold can be seen when it spreads, it is visible to the naked eye, the mold can also be tested for it's toxicity, some are more toxic than others...tell him you want a professional company that deals with only mold to fix it...I had this happen at a townhouse I rent, and they came with special suits and closed the area from the rest of the place while they were fixing it.....it is the only way mold will not come back. Do not let them come in with Clorox and try to clean it..this does not work.

Answer by older at 10:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Who will be fixing it? I would think they would need a license or something because they will have to dispose of the materials. Maybe go next door and tell your neighbor that it may be loud due to the contractors in there removing black mold. He should at least know what is there.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• The landlord has someone come out to take care of it. He had the same guy replace my front door so I dought he only deals with mold removal. I think I will talk to him about having the mold removed by a professional bc he did tell me in the mean time to just spray bleach water on it.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• The reason he said to spray bleach water on it is so the mold spores aren't airborne. I'd definitely make sure it's a professional company, not just a handy man doing the work.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• This is a reason to break the lease, I believe, although it doesn't have to go that far if it is taken care of. But you might check into it if that is an option for you. I would call the local health department too.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Yes calling the health dept is a great idea! talking from experience do not let anyone tell you that bleach will do the trick, get a professional to do it! I made that mistake the first time I found mold in my townhouse.....and even though it will cost more to get a professional at least you know it will not come back.....

Answer by older at 11:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2013

• As soon as your lease is up. Move. Start saving.

Answer by louise2 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Follow all of the steps the other moms have mentioned, but if you don't get satisfaction, break the lease and let the chips fall where they may. Mold is dangerous. My boyfriend has a colleague who got ill from renting a store for his clock business that was full of mold in the crawl space under the floor. He almost died from it. Some strains are more toxic than others, but unless you get a professional who knows what he or she is dealing with, you really have to look at this problem as potentially deadly. And do let the neighbor know. He has a right to protect his health, and you could use an ally.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2013