is this okay...

my 11mth old son will look at me when I say his name and he'll look if he hears someone talking, but sometimes its hard to get his attetion...such as when he is playing or something.Should I be worried or bring this up to his DR.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He just may be ignoring you.

Both of my DD's (much to my dismay) are experts at ignoring me. lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It can't hurt to mention it to his doctor at his year check up.
    BUT picture this....
    You have just walked into Disneyland (or some other super exciting place you've always wanted to go) for the first time. A band is playing. An worker is telling you when the show times are. Your husband is wondering which way to go first. Your child (now a little older) is tuggin on your arm and yelling for a toy he's spotted. What do you listen to and what do you ignore? Which thing is most important?
    The ability to screen out unimportant things or to prioritize all the different things you are hearing is a learned ability. This is why it so often seems like young kids are ignoring us. They have so MANY exciting and new things to listen to and they are not capable of figuring which things matter and which (like the sound of a garbage truck 2 blocks away) don't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• People say kids have a short attention span.. I think it's bull. My DS has selective hearing... if he's interested in something, there is no getting his attention unless you block or take that something away. If he's just looking around, he'll look immediately to a voice he recognizes
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• he's probably learning the word ignore LOL especially if its play time etc... our son is 7 months and he turns his head when you say his name, call him, or are talking about him.. sometimes, if he's deep in play he will kick his feet as if to say, not now ma!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009