my 1yr old gags herself with her fingers for attention all the time, how do i get her to stop?

she only gags herself when shes in her crib or high chair and not being played with, I have 2 kids and laundry to do so she cant be held the entire day, so I put her in the play pen or put her in her high chair with some snaks but then she stats gaging herself until someone comes to get her. I hate this but I have another child that needs my attention also so I cant be with her every second.

mom12341234

Asked by mom12341234 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you wear her in a carrier?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• don't have a carrier any more, and even if I did she wouldn't like it. when I had one she was always trying to get down.she does it at bed time too. we oput her in the crib and she gags her self so we pick her up shes tired but doesn't want ot sleep and of course mom and dad need there quite time too. or when I make dinner she does it basicly she hates being "put up" ( in crib or chair) shes got to be out and running around to be happy. she doesn't do it when she just roaming around the house or playing with toys. but It freaks me out when she does it, I know she cant choke on her finger but she can chock on any stip up or vomit her gaging may cause and that's what scares me. I don't know how to get her to stop. its only been going on for a couple of weeks but I realy don't want it to comntinue. never had this problem with my older one.
    mom12341234

Comment by mom12341234 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• How about making a safe area for her to play. I made the den a play pen. I got play yards that connect together. I attached three & blocked off all dangerous areas like the fireplace hearth & blocked off the entrance into the living room & used the gate door for access into the kitchen. Just put in some toys for her to play with & put on the TV when you are busy. She'll have plenty of room to play on the floor. I used the Summer infant play yards that connect.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• good idea, that's what I did with my older kid . however I now live in a 1bed apartment so I have no extra room for that right now. that's why I use the pack n play to contain her while cleaning or bed time. its safe and she not in the way of the vacuum. I thought about putting some sort of spice on her fingers that taste gross so she wont want to do it. maybe cinnamon or cloves.
    mom12341234

Comment by mom12341234 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Be careful putting things on her fingers. What if she rubs her eyes w/ them & hurts her eyes? My youngest did that from time to time & did make herself throw up a couple of times. Luckily she outgrew that habit. Can the older 2 kids watch her or play with her when you're out of the room?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• What if you just don't run to her every time? Listen carefully in case she actually makes herself throw up, then you can get there quickly and comfort her and clean up the vomit so she doesn't choke on it. But little ones are very smart, and it ounds like she's learned how to get you to drop everything andgo to her. If it doesn't work, she'll stop doing it because gagging is unpleasant, but right now it's paying off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• yes my 4yr old trys to help but she sometimes would rather be outside or playing with mom herself. she loves her sister and likes helping but shes only 4 so I cant expect her to do a whole lot with the baby. I could wait for her to out grow it but it worries me sometimes, I woke up in the middle of the night because she started to do it when everyone else was sleeping, waking up to the gaging sound at 2 am is scary.
    mom12341234

Comment by mom12341234 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• My son would do that all the time around the same age. I just ignored it as long as it was just his fingers. The worst that will happen is they make themselves throw up. By ignoring it he got tired of it because he wasn't getting the attention that he wanted, which was the reason he started it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• If she is a year old and moves around freely(sit up, roll over etc.) then the risk of her choking on her vomit is very slim. Just make sure that she dosen't have anything that she could choke herself with(which I'm sure you do already) and ignore her.

Do you run to her room whenever she does it at night?? If so then that is rewarding the behavior and she will only continue.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• If you really do want to put something on her fingers to deter her, don't use spices that could burn her lips or eyes. Baby stores sell a bitter-tasting lotion to encourage kids to kick the thumb-sucking habit. It's non-toxic. Look into that, but try just ignoring the behavior first.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2013