Toothaches are awful.

just thought i'd share that. ugh. day 2 of antibiotics and im still getting random bouts of pain. i even at times feel pressure in my eyes, the back of my neck is sore and stiff. last night just before bed i was in so much pain i was trembling and had to fall asleep with an ice pack on my face. thankfully today it's been manageable since the antibiotic is kicking in. i cant wait to get these f**ers out!

question: if you had a wisdom tooth that didn't come in all the way, did the oral surgeon have to cut away at the gums? my bottom one, its hard to explain, you can see the whole top of the tooth but the sides are still hidden under the gums. there isn't anything to grab onto. im just nervous because ive only had a brittle, broken away fully grown in wisdom tooth pulled and it took a matter of minutes. the thought of the surgeon cutting and prodding at my mouth for a long period of time freaks me out, and i know there is the added complication of it still being attached to the jaw. :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Health

• My wisdom teeth were coming in crooked - the x-rays showed they were literally carving into the teeth next to them. I had to be put under and have them surgically removed. Honestly, the surgery was far less painful than the feeling of the teeth trying to force their way in. I was put under, so for me, it was like I sat down and then boom, it was done. My mouth and jaw were somewhat sore for a while from being open for so long (they had to take all my wisdom teeth), but other than that and a little pain in the gums which was easily eased with some Advil, I felt better than I had in some time.

Hope you start feeling better soon!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• The dentist will know how to get them out. Two of mine had to be cut in fourths and removed a piece at a time. That was a long, long time ago, and I know they have better methods today to get them out. I had no trouble back then, so I think you will be fine. Just try to relax and not worry about the procedure.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• I wasn't put all the way under but was sedated through an IV. I don't really remember much of it, I was conscious but not coherent lol. I seemed to me like it took 10 minutes but it was around an hour I think. They cut open my gums to get into the impacted wisdom teeth. The recovery wasn't hard at all or very painful.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Ask for laughing gas. Seriously, it makes you sort of zoned and unconcerned about what the surgeon is doing. I had to get my wisdom teeth cut out before they broke through the gums, plus have four permanent teeth pulled from the top of my mouth and four from the bottom, because there just wasn't room for them all. I didn't know about laughing gas at that time when I was a teenager, but i got it for the extraction of a tooth that was diseased beyond saving this last winter, and it made a bad experience much more bearable. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• i actually had laughing gas when i got my first wisdom tooth removed- the one that was easy and quick. i was so anxious that the laughing gas had no effect on me. well, it did make me a little calmer, but it didn't make me feel like everyone said it would. but i do prefer it over being sedated or out completely.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Never had to deal with the wisdom tooth deal- my sympathies. Just regular toothaches are awful enough as it is. I just pulled out part of a filling last night on a stupid Tootsie Roll. Needless to say, I have to call the dentist on Monday to get it fixed before it starts giving me problems.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• I had two impacted wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. I was asleep for the procedure. They gave me vicodin. I took one & crawled to the toilet & puked. I only needed Tylenol. No problems or real bad pain at all. You will be fine!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• If you still don't feel calm enough after the gas, tell the surgeon he should be able to adjust something to make it better. Don't be afraid to speak up if you are not comfortable.

Having gotten a tooth extracted when the novicaine did not work(I have a nervous system condition that affects how my body is numbed now, similar thing happened with a spinal injection) so I know how "uncomfortable" it can be. So speak up if you aren't comfortable.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2013