Birth Spacing

How old was your previous child when you got pregnant with your next? Do you like the age gap between them?

katinthehat8914

Asked by katinthehat8914 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Pregnancy

• My oldest was 2 years, 4 months old when I was pregnant with my youngest. Their birthdays are 3 years, 1 week apart. Yes, the spacing is great for us.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• There's a 5 year gap, I wish they were closer together.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• My boys are 1 1/2 years apart. That made for some crazy times. :p There's a much bigger gap between my boys & their sister. Having just 1 to focus on, & a supportive spouse made a huge difference.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Mine are all about 2 yrs apart. The spacing is nice. I remember the stages from 1 child to the next. But having 3 teens at the same time is not so much fun.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• there are 39 months between my oldest & youngest and i have three kids. my oldest was 26 months when my middle was born, they get along pretty well most of the time. my middle was 13 months when my youngest was born and they fight constantly. my youngest & oldest on the other hand get along great. seems that a 3 year age gap is ideal.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• 4 1/2 years. Perfect for me. He's self sufficient. Plays nicely with her & they'll ride the school bus together when she starts kindergarten & he'll be in 5th grade. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• My kids are exactly 3 yrs & 18 days apart.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• If I get pregnant again this summer which is the hope, mine will be six years apart. It has seemed to work well for my cousin whose family has a similar structure, because the older one plays with the little one and teaches her a lot of things, and she's in school so there's one-on-one time for the toddler. But then, I guess whatever you have is what you make work. I was chatting with my grandma not long ago. She had three girls in a row,one each December for three years, and then a boy a little later on. I asked her what it was like with three small girls, all in diapers, and she said she was glad to get the nursery stuff done without pausing and going back to it. She said as long as she was washing diapers, she didn't mind doing dozens of them at once. So as long as you can give each child what he or she needs, then you're good. My two stepkids are four years apart, and they've fought like tigers from early on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Mine are 2.5 years apart. I'd actually wanted them to only be about 2 years apart, but somehow, I was so caught up in my oldest and other things that he was nearly 2 before we started talking about getting pregnant again. Once we decided to try, I got pregnant pretty quickly, though. lol

Although it's a bit bigger of a gap than I'd originally intended, I'm fairly happy with it. They fight a lot, and I think if it had gone as planned and there wasn't that extra 6 months or so there, they'd probably fight more. But it's still good - they're far enough apart to form their own interests, hobbies and friendships while still being close enough in age to have some similarities and be able to play together and hang out together.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• All 3 of my kids are about 27 months apart from each other. I love it!!! I grew up with the same age gap between me and my brothers. It was so nice to have siblings close in age. And now we are all great friends and even go on vacations together. I'm hoping my girls are the same way as they get older.
    Oh, and the best part.... HAND ME DOWNS!!! I have saved a fortune!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2013