Need honest answers from people in this field or same position....

here goes...I work in a small church run pre school. 15 on staff. plus a director and assistant director. We are open on a 9 month basis plus 1 month of summer camp....open from 7 to 630. we are only allotted 25 personal hours in that 9 month time period....for me personally, it works out to 4 days and 1 hour paid leave...I work 9 am to 3pm, m-f. The other day the assistant director(who has been there less than 1 year), is supposed to come in anywhere from 1130 to 1230 til 630 showed up at 250....because she was getting her HAIR DONE.... I am a bit irked and take it as a slap in the face. I have a special needs son whom I take care of and he often gets out of school early for teacher work days, to be exact its 2 days in a row once a month and with my allotted 25 hrs I have to juggle and nickel and dime how and when to use them....its not fair that she is able to do this and its not the 1st time either...the director knows this happened as she does the exact same thing. My question is, should I tell the director whom I am a bit close with that I am hurt that the assistant director can do this and we (the rest of the staff) would never be able to get away with something like this?...Please don't get on here telling me im petty or that im whining...that's not what im asking for. thanks! :)

SLC3015

Asked by SLC3015 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Money & Work

• That is what bosses do. Honestly, it's the truth, regardless of the industry.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Its so unfair...in my opinion the only reason why I would see why its ok for them is because they don't have to be ratioed to the kids....
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• It is one of the perks of being a boss. It sucks, but it probably won't change.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• That's how they justify it. But, yeah, I've worked non-profit before and honestly the higher up you get, the more free time you seem to have. My last director used to always combine work trips with personal errands, like schedule a meeting before lunch and then take a long lunch and run errands.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Exactly what 3libras said. Besides, how do you know that she didn't let the director know before hand that she was taking a few personal hours? 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• im sure she did tell her she was doing it...that makes it worse....the director KNEW....thatswhy its so effed up. When a few of the ppl at work were sick she asked for doctors notes...but this is acceptable?....
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• That happens even in the private sector. It pays to be the boss! As long as her supervisor is okay with it (which apparently she is), not much you can do.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• So, if she used her personal time/hours, what exactly is the problem?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• on Friday, just yesterday..... She was asking if we needed an extra day to do the cleaning and organizing since school is almost over and we have to set up for summer camp. And 2 girls said yes. Director said ok but im leaving Monday night so u need to tell me by then how long you think you will be here to clean because I don't want anyone going next door to get pedicures.....wtf???!!! Are you serious!!!!???? It was literally the day before on Thursday that her assistant got her damn hair done!!!!
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• She didn't use them...you see, she used them 3 weeks before when she decided to go to Disney.....for an entire week.
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2013