Tips for when Dad goes on a trip?

My boyfriend has to fly to another state this Wednesday evening to help with the estate sale for his parents, who have moved into assisted living. He'll be back Sunday night, well after our five-year-old is in bed. Our daughter has been left with a babysitter while both of us went away for a few long weekends over the years, but this is the first time the two of us will be home when Dad is gone. Is there anything I can do to make the change easier for her? Especially at night and on the weekend, since she'll be at day camp Thursday and Friday.

Also, my boyfriend will be going through a stressful time when I can't be there with him because his parents, especially his dad, are in declining health and understandably grieving over the loss of their home and most of their possessions, even though they've said the estate sale is what they want to do. Can you all think of anything I can to from a distance to make this easier on him?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Travel

• I agree with skype if both of you have the ability to (webcam). DH travels a lot so skype is our best friend. The kids stay pretty busy while he is away and this is how it's been for a while, so they are kind of used to it. But it seems seeing him on skype has a bigger impact than just talking to him on the phone.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• My DH used to travel a lot when our kids were young. I always made a point of doing things we normally wouldn't do when dads around.
    Cereal for dinner, pizza delivery and movie night with a friend.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Just be supportive of him. Listen to him, give him a shoulder & other "favors" to keep his mind off things :p (Seriously- sex does help) As for your dau, just plan girls only fun stuff. Whatever it is she would like to do that you normally couldn't necessarily do w/ daddy around. (ie. Makeovers) Just keeping her busy will help the days fly by til daddy is back home again.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• Skype!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• In keeping with what I said about the sex, you could also "dirty" skype! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2013