Aggressive dog

I have a 12yr old husky, we have had her since she was able to come away from mom. Just lately she has been getting aggressive, when I try to put her away for doing something bad she tries to bite me, when my husband tried to get her off the bed last night she tried to bite him. What is up with her? She has never been like this!! Is it because she is getting older? Nothing has changed in the house so I don't know what she could be going through. HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Maybe she's sick, you should get her checked. Don't want anyone to get hurt.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We had a husky that became aggressive a year or so ago and with the given circumstances, we had to give her to a foster family (we got her thru a rescue league). But seeing how you've had her since a pup and no real change has gone thru UR family....I would have to think it was because of her age. 12 yrs is a long time for a dog, her temperment may be changing because of it. Does she have arthritis or any other health issues? If she's uncomfy or in pain from that, I'm sure that doesn't help either. KWIM?

Just a thought.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• BTW...we come from a family that has had huskies for many years (and we still have a husky, besides the one we had to give up). So we're familiar with the breed too. lol
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would take her to the vet and check for things such as arthritis, a urinary tract infection, things of that nature which can alter their mental state.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• She just thinks she is the pack leader and what she says goes. Dogs will do that if they think they can get away with it. Does she always sleep in your room? Or in your bed? If you have let her sleep with you before., she may think thats it is ok and why change now? If not and it is something new, I would be putting a gate across my br door and see what happens. Is she crate trained and can use a crate at night? If she is really wanting in the bed with you guys, you will have to make some changes to stop this unwanted behavior. Make a big bed for her on the floor, and make sure you tell her to stay there.A leach may be a good idea to getting her off the bed when she doesn't do what YOU want. Make some changes before it gets outta control. Good luck.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Are her eyes cloudy? It could be that she's losing her eye sight and just sees shadows, this could be a reason why she's becoming aggressive. also she could have arthritis these types of dogs are known for it. Just make sure u announce yourself to her so she recognize you, but definatly have a vet take a look. you dont want any accident.
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• may want to get full vet check. aggression sometimes happens when loosing eye sight, hearing, or have arthiritus. There are many issues that can lead to aggression
    lbethharris

Answer by lbethharris at 10:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Absolutely get her to the vet like some other moms suggested. At her age it could be anything.. You should have a full exam and blood work done to determine if it is something physical.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009