Is the concern about how drug dealers would support their families a good enough reason to not legalize pot?

Mayor Bloomberg thinks it is.

"Yeah, right, medical, come on," said Bloomberg. "There's no medical. This is one of the great hoaxes of all times." 

The mayor has admitted to smoking weed in the past, and enjoying it, but that was a long time ago.

"The bottom line is, I'm told marijuana is much stronger today than it was 20 or 30 years ago," [Bloomberg said].

Bloomberg's opposition to medical and recreational marijuana is two-fold: first, his belief that the drug is stronger now.

"And number two, drug dealers have families to feed," he said. "If they can't sell marijuana, they'll sell something else. And the something else is gonna be worse. And, the push to legalize this is just wrongheaded."

"If you think about it, they say, 'Oh well it's not gonna hurt anybody, it doesn't lead to dependency,'" he continued. "Of course it does. You can argue about recreational things, but it's a very slippery path."

So the title question is my first question.  

My second question is do you think that marijuana has medicinal effects?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Another fucking asinine thing this idiot has said. His stupidity knows no bounds apparently. Marijuana absolutely has great medicinal benefits and should be legal IMO. I could give two shits about how a drug dealer is going to support their family, my concern is for the people who could benefit from using it medicinally. This guy is absolutely clueless and willfully ignorant.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I am absolutely and completely convinced that marijuana has a medicinal effect. Sometimes the pressure in my eyes skyrockets, causing excruciating headaches. I've tried eyedrops, long-term neural blocks, and different prescriptions, and finally I was told I had two options--take a few hits of marijuana when the barometric pressure changes or have my real eyes removed in favor of prosthetics. I'll go for the marijuana every time and have a medical license to do so. A few puffs or a smidge of a chocolate bar made with marijuana butter make the pain bearable and drop the eye pressure almost instantly without impacting the quality of my life. I suppose I'd get used to prosthetic eyes, but I'm not in any hurry to take that option.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• No and yes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• The idea that mj can be good for medical purposes I agree with.
    drug dealers supporting their families? Well lol, never met a drug dealer in real life but from what I see on TV, what families? Most drug dealers are lazy materialistic abusive assholes. This is what I see on TV. If there are loving and caring family men out there selling dope from their ho pads, my apologies.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 12:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• As to whether drug dealers are going to sell other drugs, sure they are. Some of them, They have up till now, ad they will if marijuana is legalized. I don't really understand what one thing has to do with the other.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Mayor Bloomberg has his head up his ass. I hope to god he never decides to run for the presidency. We have a big enough asshat in there now.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• but I think for the most part drug dealers aren't in it to support the wife and kids

No, they're supporting their 5 babymamma's kids and their parents. The rest goes to payroll. The delusion here is that drug dealers are cottage industries. They are organized business, just like Walmart. And that, not the need to "support their families" is why they'll keep selling drugs no matter what. They have investors to keep from shooting them in the head and employees to keep in line.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Marijuana is a PLANT. A PLANT for goodness sake. The government has no right to tell us what we can or cannot put into our own bodies. Do you own your body or does the government?

If all drugs were legalized tomorrow, would you go out and start doing them? Doubt it. Prohibition does not work. These drug wars are about money, not drugs. There is a lot of research on it.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• No and Yes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2013

• They aren't drug dealers they are gardeners!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2013