When people brag about how they don't do social media

ala I don't do facebook/pinterest/twitter/etc, do you think they realize that CM is a social media site?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Pretty sure a lot of folks don't realize it. I barely touch Facebook any more, and I use Twitter for work only.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Yeah, I don't get how they don't see this as a social media sight. There is almost more bullshit on here than on FB at times.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I never use that term "social media". I just say I don't go on Facebook or twitter etc. I have no need for them. I have no distant family that I would keep in touch with over Facebook & I don't have the need to keep in contact with H.S. people who I wasn't friends with 20 years ago. Nor do I feel the need to have every thought in my head published immediately for others to read. I just come here for the entertainment & to learn a few things occasionally. No one knows who I am & I like my privacy as opposed to the previous "social media" mentioned.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I don't think I brag about not doing social media. I just, stating facts, don't care for or frequent Facebook, and I've never gotten involved with Twitter or Pinterest. I think Pinterest is mostly for pics anyway and not text, so it wouldn't work for me. CM is a social site, a chat site. I didn't know it fell under social media, but it makes sense that it does. The topics here are interesting to me, so I come. FB is irrelevant to me and very inaccessible to my screen reader, so I don't use it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Depends are they specifically saying "Social media" because yeah that makes them look like a bunch of morons. If it is a specific one such as saying I don't "do pinterest" then well that's specific to that particular site.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I am on cafemom and Facebook. That is it. I tried the others. They are just not me.

But it depends on how they said what they don't do. "Social media" or a specific media. 

Answer by louise2 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Saying you don't do FB isn't really bragging is it? It's just stating a preference to what sites you visit. This is a more private type of interaction since you don't have to use your real name.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• LOL, it does seem silly doesn't it? All it proves to me is that they don't do social media as "themselves".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Any site you visit where there's interaction with others is social media.
    Did I miss something again? LOL
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I barley have enough time to read my email lately LOL. I guess I missed it also.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2013