Bacon Rice Casserole

It's the easiest thing in the world to make, and it smells really good while it's baking. The basic recipe is a cup of white rice--you can use brown if you have longer to cook it and add extra liquid--along with two cups of milk and two cans of cream of mushroom soup. I usually add a can of sliced mushrooms with their liquid and about 3/4 cup of grated Cheddar cheese.

Arrange a half a package of bacon, with the slices cut in chunks a few inches long, in a single layer on the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan. You can use turkey bacon for a healthier choice, but I'd rather just deal with the calories and cholesterol and go for the full flavor of regular bacon, and maybe have the casserole less often than leaner meals. The thick sliced bacon works best. Mix everything else and dump it on top of the bacon. Cover tightly with foil, bake at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half, till the liquid is soaked up and the rice is tender.

The great thing about this dish is you can change it up. Sometimes I scramble a few eggs and add them to the rice mixture. I've replaced half the mushroom soup with sour cream before, and that was yummy. I've added veggies like corn and peas or French-style green beans cut into very small pieces, along with onion and garlic powder. Or, for a leaner choice, I've omitted the bacon and cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite-sized pieces instead. The bacon makes the dish taste a lot better than boring old chicken, though.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I make bacon rice a different way. 1 pack bacon chopped and fried, 2 cans of French onion soup plus two cans water. Add instant brown rice and bacon stir cover until rice is done. Ugh it's soooo good.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Oh my goodness. My son would love this, I think. Even if it uses cream of mushroom soup! Bacon is a magic word around here!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• That sounds awesome!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Oh my oh my! This is going on my menu for this week. Thanks so much! These kids will love it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Try Liptons Onion Soup mix. Just one packet! I love it as a side dish with chicken as well.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• I wonder, can I substitute fresh sautéed mushrooms for the canned? If so about how much extra liquid should I add?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• That sounds really good. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• My teens have finals this week so will be home for lunch...this will make a great treat lunch this week...about two days worth unless they bring friends...oh to be a tall skinny teenage boy ; )

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2013

• Do you cook the bacon first? I don't imagine it would cook very well under all the rice and other ingredients?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Sure, I think fresh mushrooms would work. Just add maybe a few extra tablespoons of milk and a sprinkle of salt.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2013