My 2 and half year old is repeating the last word or 2 words of the sentence.

My 2 and half year old is repeating the last word or 2 words of the sentence. For example if I say I love you mama she would repeat only mama. If I say I love you, then she would say love you. if I say single words she will repeat them after me. moreover she has her own words like for example she says Apidi for elephant, Akka for water, gaga for lion, kiya for carry, aape for open and peya to ask to fix something. Otherwise she is a healthy and happy child.

I am a working mom, she spends most of the times with her nanny until I return home. After I come home she is with me until I put her to sleep at 9:00 pm. She is 2 and half now and still finds it difficult to pronounce even easy words like words. Example If I say please she would says ease. Is this normal for a 2 and half year old, have anyone experienced this before? please advice.

ASMF

Asked by ASMF at 4:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Google early intervention and your area. They will do a free developmental evaluation. Is she able to follow simple directions? Does she respond to her name? Repeating and having her own "language" can be red flags that she needs a little help.

Answer by missanc at 5:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Does her nanny speak a different language?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• She speaks the same language loving and carering, talkative too. I have IP cam.
    ASMF

Comment by ASMF (original poster) at 6:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Have you had her hearing tested recently?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• have her speech tested

this is one of the questions (parroting speech) i am always asked when therapists fill out paperwork
    mine in autism spectrum, mine does not do this, so know nothing about it (and does not mean autism, just one thing that therapists ask me)
    could be sign she has some learning delay, speech delay - etc
    or maybe not
    a good speech therapist will know after testing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2013

• My son does the same thing. I was told that it is just a way of learning
    Brooke K.

Answer by Brooke K. at 6:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2013