Isn't a friendship a relationship?

Why do alot of guys say I;m not looking for a relationship, but we can be friends. ISn't friendship a relationship. I'm confused. HOw would you ask the question more specfically so they don't get scared off by trying to understand what they mean by the difference.
thanks in advance

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 12:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• it is different to men. A relationship means boyfriend girlfriend,
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• When some people here relationship they think love. That's why people say I am not looking for a relationship
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• they are just trying to be polite while still telling you they aren't interested in an intimate relationship
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I don't consider friendship a relationship, a relationship is dating or boyfriend/girlfriend, things like that. Friends are just friends.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• It depends on how you're using the word relationship. A relationship is the connection between two people. There's friendship, the parent-child relationship, sibling relationship, grandparent-grandchild relationship, boss-employee relationship, coworker relationship, neighbor relationship. And of course, the boyfriend-girlfriend or spousal relationship.

In the context you describe, the relationship they are saying they don't want is the boyfriend-girlfriend variety, which is very different from friendship. So basically, they're not really saying they don't want a relationship with you, they're saying which specific type of relationship they don't want with you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Anybody you associate with you have a relationship with, but I think we all know what it means to "be in a relationship". Don't take it so literally. You're already scaring men off by over-thinking and being so complicated lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• When a guy says this to you it means they don't want you or they had you and you are not interesting enough to have more with. That being said you can find someone who finds you interesting and attractive enough to actually try harder then being friends. But truly to the very basic human nature men and women can not be friends one always feels more............always
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• No matter what a guy says, he will always try to fuck you. Friend, not a friend, relationship, etc.
    So until you're sure where you stand, keep your legs closed.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Beware of those words, "I'm not looking for a relationship." My boyfriend and I both said them almost simultaneously to each other--ten years and one baby ago. We weren't looking, either. We intended to be friends, but the universe had other ideas.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2013