How would you handle this? Your child killing your other child?

Funeral held for boys allegedly stabbed, killed by brother

The funeral for two young West Point brothers stabbed to death in their home May 22 week was held Monday. Hundreds of people attended the services for 10-year-old Alex and 4-year-old Benjie Vidinhar at the Washington Heights Baptist Church in Ogden.

The family asked that people who are attending to dress comfortably and to wear children-themed T-shirts, which many did.

"It has a shattering effect on the family, said supporter Lawrence Jordan. "We love them a lot."

A lot of children were also in attendance Monday, and there was also a large presence of law enforcement.

Sunday, a viewing was held for the two boys. Friends and family were able to meet with the family and try to bring comfort during this traumatic time.

Davis County sheriffs said both boys suffered knife wounds. Two knives believed to have been used in the killings were recovered from the family's West Point home.

Officials believe the boys were killed by their 15-year-old brother who was babysitting at the time.

Friday saw the first court hearing for the teen. Attorneys are now waiting for results from the investigation to determine if he will be tried as an adult. The boys' father has said he does not want his son to face a potential sentence of life in prison without parole.

He said the family "never imagined something like this could happen," and believes emotional or mental health issues may have played a role in the tragic incident.

How would you handle if one of your children killed his sibling(s)? Would you still stand by them or want them punished to the fullest extent? 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Too painful to think about children killing children.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I don't know. I have no clue how I would react under those circumstances. I would be blaming myself for all of it, I know that much.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I don't know if I would be able to handle it...
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I don't think I could stand by and say that it was ok... I would probably go with my gut and say that they would need to be tried to the full extent of the law as painful as that would be. I was always taught that if you do something wrong, you take responsibility for it. JMO
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I certainly would not try to protect him. I would always love him, he'd always be my son, but he would have to face what he did without any support from me.

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• It would really depend. Did the 15 year old have mental issues? Did the parents have problems controlling him. Did he have anger issues the parents did not try to fix, sweep under the rug. Their must have been something leading up to this that the parents missed.

I would want the boy to be evaluated for mental issues first. Then if they find nothing wrong. To be punished to the fullest extent of the law. You do something wrong. You get punished for it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• It's not the politically correct thing to say, but I'd probably commit suicide. I don't think I could handle that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• id stay in my bed and cry till i was dehydrated and probably never leave the house again. something like that would send me over the edge and id either go completely numb or have to be put on enough mood elevators that id be numb. i dont know how those parents are able to keep functioning, they are stronger than me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• if I lost my kids id honestly have to be put on suicide watch for sure.. only thing that would keep me going is having other living kids. When I opened this I thought it was going to be about a little kid killing another little kid.. but 15 is not little. I think he needs to be charged and go to trial. I love my kids but when they do wrong they need to live with the consequences. at 15 you know better... (but that's assuming he was mentally healthy) -- a family friend had two sons. and the 2 yr old went into his little brothers nursery one night and threw a baby blanket into the crib.. by the time the family realized what had happened it was too late. the baby suffocated. I don't think they ever told the 2 yr old (now older) what had happened. they didn't want him to live with that guilt. My heart hurts for the family who lost these babies.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 4:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Counseling. Lots and lots of counseling. I would like to think that I'd still stand with, and support, the surviving child, but I also know I would have a LOT of anger towards the older sibling. Other than that, I can't really give a realistic reaction unless I was in that situation (ALL gods forbid).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2013