How can I stop my 7 year old son from picking his nose?

My 7 year old son has this embarrassing habit of picking his nose. He does it a lot, at home and in public. To me it is gross. I have tried talking to him and he gives me attitude over it and says I just like doing it. Is their away I can get him to stop?

sweetheart1207

Asked by sweetheart1207 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This may sound mean & I may be chastised for not being a perfect mom for this but, I tease my girls if they pick their noses. Not in an angry bully type way but, I'll go "EWWWWWW" really loud & call them "booger". And, they've gotten a lot better about doing it now, unless they're trying to gross me out in private.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I wish I could help you, my 7 year old son won't stop either and he doesn't care that the kids in his class notice it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• when you figure out something that works please let me know! both of mine have been doing it a lot!! they are still little yet so they don't really grasp the embarrassment factor. hmm, for now I will just continue to tell him to stop and if it continues into school (which is only a few months away) maybe hearing stop from friends or a teacher will do the job....
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 5:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• If my Son does things like that I say "don't do that, it will become a habit & if you do it in school not realizing it then the kids will think it's gross, especially the girls!" It works for me.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• are his boogers dry and irritating?
    i know i have dug for gold when my nose was irritated...

perhaps a humidifier or some vasaline?

what worked for me with the kids was having them go wash their hands after and handing them a tissue to blow
    the eventually got fed up with hand washing 10 times a day and began keeping their fingers out of their face so i would leave them alone :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• You cant. He is a person with his own mind..the best you can do is remind him its improper and tell him if his nose is dirty to use a tissue. Hes a little boy, he will out grow it. Dont embarrass or belittle him. Good luck
    Danio72

Answer by Danio72 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Thanks for the response. 3libras I will have to try that. Thanks for the response slw123.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Going to me the mean mom here. I would slap their hand while they did it. And tell them STOP THAT. It worked, they stoped, at least in front of me at least.

Answer by louise2 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• He says when i get bored I like picking my nose. I even like doing it when I have things to do. When I try to talk to him about it he starts screaming at me. He has had anger management problem for 2 years. So far nothing has worked on his anger. But hopefully he will grow out of the nose picking real soon. Thanks for all the response.
    sweetheart1207

Comment by sweetheart1207 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2013