How often can you give honey to a one year old and how much?

I've heard honey is good for cough for a home remedy. But I'm not sure how much or how often you can give to a one year old. Does anyone to this has a home remedy?

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 4:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You shouldn't give honey to a one year old, period. No honey til they're at least 2 years old. Honey can contain botulism spores and could be fatal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I've mixed a little honey and lemon juice together for my dd. I think I waited till she was 2yo, but there are varying opinions on the age minimum. Most sites say 12 mos due to a risk of botulism.

We didn't give her much, maybe a teaspoon and just 1-2x a day.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I've also read babies under one can't have honey. He is close to 20m. His doctor told me before he could have it. That was at his one year checkup. Since then I've given him a taste here and there.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Because of the risk of botulism, I didn't give honey to my daughter at all till she was over two years old. Better safe than sorry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I waited until after 2 as well.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• In our culture, the first feed of a new born is some drops of honey. Honey is maybe best medicine for many diseases.

Allaah Says (what means): "And the Lord inspired the bee, saying: Take your habitations in the mountains and in the trees and in what they erect. Then, eat of all fruits and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)'. There comes forth from their bellies a drink of varying colors wherein is healing for men. Verily in this is indeed a sign for people who think."
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 2:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• My son didn't have honey until after he was two. Good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Has anyone ever tried fresh lemon juice for wet cough?
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• After talking with my sons doctor he told me that use to it was any child under two could not have honey. But it is now any child under one can not have honey. I mixed a little honey with fresh lemon juice last night and it has helped dry up my sons cough. Better then any cough medicine I have ever given him.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• NOT AT ALL! Only after 2 yrs old and even then just a taste to make sure there are no reactions. At this age it can be fatal. Don't do it.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 8:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2013