I just had to make a very difficult call today

My dau came home & told me a girl in her 5th grade class is so upset at the thought of visiting her dad in another state for part of the summer, that she wanted to kill herself. She went to far as to take a compass (the kind used for math w/ the pointed end, used for making circles) and cut her arm! This is the same child who found it soothing to pull out clumps of her hair when she was in the 2nd grade! This poor child. So I had to call the mom & tell her what happened. If it was my child, I'd want to know. I sincerely hope this child gets some help.

Have you ever had to talk to another parent about a sensitive issue like this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• Bless your heart. Kiddos for doing the right thing. And super kiddos to your dd for telling you.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• No but I was on the other end of it. I had a parent tell me something that no mom should ever have to hear. I will be forever grateful to them. ( Mother/daughter)
    You did the right thing. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• dad could be abusive and she doesn't know how to handle it...this is really sad. You did the right thing, I hope she gets some help.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Whoa! What did the Mom say? I think you did the right thing.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• God bless you for calling. So many adults don't want to get involved, and when kids cry out for help, the ones who need them most pretend they don't see or hear.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I am so glad you actually called the mother of this child. Most people wouldn't want to get involved. Good for you! I hope her mom gets her some much needed counseling.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• we've made similar calls in the past
    so, yeah- i think you did the correct thing
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• That must have been a tough thing to do. I'm so glad you called. I hope the little girl gets the help she needs.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• ((((hugs))) for her and her Mother.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I'm with the others, you did a good thing. We're such a litigious society now that we're all afraid to get involved when now more than ever, we need community.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2013