Does your child trade parts of their lunch for unhealthy crap?!

Today my dau came home starving. I asked her why she was hungrier than usual & she said she gave her sandwich & applesauce cup away for poptarts! I haven't had poptarts in the house for years, so she must've had a craving or something, but geez! You try to do the right thing & give them a decent lunch, only to have them trade it for crap! Ugh!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Sometimes my son does this but that just means no snacks after dinner or the next day for lunch.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• My Son's School is very strict with that. No sharing ever. They have a lunch lady that sits with them every day & watches & helps them if they need it. He's in kindergarten.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Nope,... no sharing allowed at their school.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• My kid eats the school lunch, but he's probably done something similar before. If he has, he hasn't told me about it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• My daughter's preschool always provided the lunch, so the kids all had the same thing. But I suppose it's bound to happen when my daughter starts taking food to school. That's why it always cracks me up when these zero tolerance moms don't allow any junk food in their homes; the kids are going to get their grubby little fingers on it one way or another. I'd say the hunger is a natural consequence of making unwise food choices. I'd make your daughter wait till dinner to eat.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• yeah- been there done that

Did you know you can make those fun treats at home as a preventative measure?
    fruit roll-ups for instance

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• No not often when they were younger.I let them eat all sorts of junk on Saturdays...sweet cereal and pop tarts for breakfast some Saturdays ,so I think they got not to eat junk often and in very small amounts and were OK with that.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 7:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• It's not allowed at their school because of food allergies and things like that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Trading is not allowed at our school due to possible allergy issues and the children know that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• ^^^Great idea virginiamama- I will have to tell her that's what's gonna happen the next time she even thinks about pulling that crap again!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2013