Should I call the police or just scrub it off?

The local UPS driver just dropped off a package at my house. I know him well because he delivers a lot of the boxes of manuscripts that are shipped to me for proofreading. He just told me he saw graffiti on my air conditioning unit, which is on the side of my condo. He said he's seen the same thing, sort of a slanted cross with a border, painted on a lot of fences and buildings lately, and that it might be a gang symbol of some kind.

So, two questions. What's the best product for taking spray paint off metal. And should I call someone before scrubbing the paint off, or let it be? If I should call, who? The police?

The joys of home ownership ...

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I would just spray paint over it. Probably cheaper to do that. Take a picture of it. Bring it down to the police and see if it is gang related.

Answer by louise2 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• If he thinks it might be a gang symbol, I'd probably call the cops (non-emergency number), and just tell them what it is before you remove it. If they have concerns about it or whatever, they can let you know if they want to come take pictures or something before you remove it.

As far as removing it, I'd check Home Depot or Lowe's. They should have some kind of paint remover that will work.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• There should be something to remove it for sale at Home Depot I guess & I think I'd call the local Police Precinct directly & tell them the situation. Don't call 911. Let us know what they say.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Take pictures of it so cops can link it to specific gang tags. On metal I'm not sure but I know for wood sometimes people use a pressure washer...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• you do definitely want it cleaned up immediately
    leaving it invites more graffiti- cleaning it up sends a subtle but powerful message
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• call the local police and ask Home depot or Lowes which product they recommend.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Keep in mind some places have anti-graffiti ordinances, too, so once you call, you may be starting the clean up timer on yourself. If it's not gone in x-time, they fine you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Ugh- why do these punks feel like they have to right to mark our territory as their territory?! I can't stand it. Yes, make the police aware of it (calling the non-emergency number & filing a report) & yes, get it off as soon as you can. We had some punk do that to our privacy fence. Luckily (knock wood) after removing it- it didn't happen again. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Maybe goo gone? I don't know. Or just spray paint white over top of it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• If it is for out doors/exterior? It will. But if it isn't you need to buy some for extrior.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2013