a question

okay so i dont really know ALL that much about political history, i was in AP US history in high school and the teacher didnt teach us anything. needless to say i didnt take the AP exam :p i took hist 117 A in college and thats early US history to the reconstruction.... so i was talking to my mom about the stimulus and how you ladies call it a porkulous (when i dont understand things i go to my mom because shes the smartest woman in my eyes) and she said that Franklin Roosevelt made a stimulus to get us out of the great depression and it worked, but the thing that worked the most was WWII because it created a ton of jobs. help me understand please! if it worked then how come it wont work now, we are in a war right? i know im niave just help me out :] i like things in laymans terms... and realize my mom is VERY liberal!

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 7:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• FDR created a lot of heavy spending programs once he was elected. Some of them were so outrageous, the supreme court overruled and said he couldn't do them, and he attempted to retaliate by changing the rules of the court so he could appoint 6 more judges who would take his side (fortunately for us all, he was overruled on that, too). All in all, his programs dragged the depression out for 11 years while he played politics with our allies and tried to avoid getting involved in the war. By the time Pearl Harbor happened, he had no choice and had to get involved, but he made sure he bled our allies (which included Russia) dry to make it worth it. Many modern economists believe that without his programs, the depression would have been over much sooner, and the politics that surrounded WWII would have been much different.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You aren't going to get any helpful or insightful answers here-just keep a positive attitude and remember Mom knows best:)
    Anonymous

• ironic much?
    Anonymous

• what do you mean anon :41, i dont get it?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Check out Glenn Beck's website for extra help on this. Just type in his name and dot com.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• was not directed towards you OP. It was to the oblivious poster above mine.
    Anonymous

• I learned the same thing as your mom. It goes deeper than that, though. There have been MANY recessions in our nation's history. In fact, there was one in 1945. The year WWII endedl

Check this out: http://recession.org/history

Answer by gdiamante at 7:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Because it didn't work! You did have the fact right that WW2 helped. It was the main factor. When the war started up we needed factories for building things and Dr.s and nurses and auto makers making vehicles for war. That was what got us out of that 8 yr depression. Maybe the Iraq war was what helped us be so prosperous after 9-11. I dunno, but I do know the Dems brought us crashing down with their stupid housing screw up years ago.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I believe things go up and down and that going in major amounts of debt to pay businesses is a waste of money. If money is going to be given out. Put it into programs that make people do what is needed isntead of paying the compannies that created the problem.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• its called "porkulus" because there will be an enormous bit of spending that will go straight to self-interest groups, not stimulate the economy. although you will probably be told by the MSM that it will. even with the little job opportunity it will create, it will be temporary, and the debt will outweigh and outlast the so-called, "relief".
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 10:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009