How confident do you feel about your plans to find safety when there is a tornado warning?

Stole this question from my newspaper today. Here is why I ask. After having numerous warnings last week, I called around town to find out if we have any public shelters in the area. The nearest big city told me there were no public shelters in that area. My local area told me there were several here in town, one being Walmart.

I do not have a basement, but many of my neighbors do. I usually hide out in my closet.

So, what about you?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 7:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• we have a reinforced closet that ive stocked with emergency supplies. we run into it and cover our heads with heavy blankets.

very few ppl here have basements. those that do usually end up flooding b/c tornadoes usually bring lots of rain and our water table is high. we have no public shelters that i know of, but the mall has a good shelter and our local high schools usually have underground hallways somewhere...but they arent open to the public.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I live in California, so tornadoes are rare but they can happen. I don't know anyone with a basement here, so if we were to actually have one we'd probably hide in the closet under the stairs as it's the most centrally located space big enough for the whole family that's window free and almost dead center in the townhouse.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• We have a basement
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• All I have is my basement. There's no gaurentee. Hopefully it will keep us safe in an emergency, and hopefully my whole family is home when we really need it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• If we're home- very. If we're away from home- fairly. If we're on the road- fairly screwed.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Having been through a lifetime of them I know what to do and where to go no matter where I am even if it is out of doors, as in if I were camping.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• My condo has a small downstairs bathroom with no windows, and it is in the center of the building where my home has an adjoining wall with the one behind it. Not the best, but it's probably the best I'd be able to do if my daughter and I were here alone, since I don't drive. Getting in a car isn't the wisest anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I won't say I'm not in an area that can get a tornado because anything is possible no matter how unlikely but I have a split level house and half of it is underground (at least on the back side). So we would likely hide out in the closet under the stairs. Though my town DOES have bomb shelters under several local banks so those could always double as shelters for tornado's or other natural disasters.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• We don't live in an area that gets tornadoes, and none of the homes here have basements. If somehow there was a tornado, we'd be totally screwed. There's really no where to go.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• There are no basements where I live in FL. We have a closet and a bath with no windows.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2013