How do you teach your child to be grateful?

I over heard my daughter talking to her friend today and I was completely caught of guard and insulted. I heard her say your so lucky Val you have everything IPod and Ipads and violin lessons I'm so unlucky I have nothing. And her friend said no you are lucky everyone is lucky in some-way. Then she said how prove it give me an example. Please note my child does have an IPod touch and a laptop which we all share and she gets lots of lessons in many things. I just can't believe she thinks she is so unlucky like really wtf man.
How do you all teach your children they are lucky.........

pinkparcel

Asked by pinkparcel at 8:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• my girls are 5 & 8 ever since they were little (2&3) around xmas and birthday or even spring cleaning we would together make a pile of things to give away. I have always explained to my kids that their are people out there with nothing. And by us giving them gently used and sometimes new things that we were making them happy. My oldest convinced me to let her cut her long beautiful hair by telling me she wanted to donate it . Now I do hear the so-so had their own cell phone (y an 8 yr old need a phone another ?) or a new ipad. I just tell them well that's nice. And remind them of all the nice things they have that others don't, and they then change the subject to all the great things they do have.
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Go volunteer for you two to work together at a soup kitchen for a few days. That may help open her eyes.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Take everything away for the summer.Cell, computer, tv, internet. Take her door off her room and all but one pair of shoes and 7 outfits. See if that works.

Answer by louise2 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I guess you really don't get it because look closely at what you just wrote. you still think lucky means getting material things.
    Anonymous

• Point out what a real unlucky girl is like, one that has no parents living in foster homes, one that has no one to love her, or one that has a terminal illness with no chance at life, or a girl with parents who neglect her in every way but material things....

Answer by older at 8:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• I drive to the part of town at an intersection where the same homeless man stands from am to pm 7 days a week begging for money...

I take her to the MSPCA.. the one where the animals probably wouldn't get a part in 101 dalmatians..

I'll make her lay in her bed for a few hours without covers..

Then I explain that these things, are unlucky..
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 8:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Of course I know material things is not happiness or luck and I also had along conversation about this very concept with her. It's just somehow she believe this girl has more and so she feels unlucky in comparison I also pointed out how lucky she is to have both her parents and food and her dog and all friends but it just somehow did not sink in. I am very tempted to pack up all her crap so she can see past the material things
    pinkparcel

Comment by pinkparcel (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• Food wise. Do not let her eat sweets.

Answer by louise2 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2013

• How old is your child? Sometimes I think how good we have it isn't something that sinks in all at once. She'll look back and know how lucky she was someday. Hell, as an adult, I have to get jolted once in a while when I start wishing I had this or that, and I've eaten from soup kitchens a few tims.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2013