Baaaaaaaad idea! (pun intended)

The house I live in now used to belong to my great aunt until she had a stroke a few years ago. When I got pregnant, just before I turned 18, marrying the father wasn't an option, and there really wasn't room at my mom's house for one more person but my great aunt was very lonely living alone and asked me to come and live with her. After she had her stroke, she had to go to a nursing home but she wanted me to stay in her house so that me and my child would have a place to live. I have since adopted another child, gotten married, and moved my husband and stepdaughter into the house too and I have another baby on the way.

My great aunt's only son was killed in a car accident about 13 years ago. Not long after, one of my uncle's friend's sheep died just after giving birth so he had an orphaned lamb. My uncle offered to take her and brought her home and my aunt fell in love with her and bottle fed her, and she named her Betsy. Since she went to the nursing home, I have been taking care of the old girl. She is just over thirteen years old and she was getting wobbly and her health was declining. She was spending most of the time in her stall, lying down. Her appetite was declining and she wasn't drinking much. This morning I went down to the barn and found her dead.

She outlived the normal lifespan for a sheep and, even though I loved her, I understand about elderly animals, but that still doesn't make it easier. She was a very sweet animal and loved my kids and my kids loved taking care of her. I grew up with her just like they did. They are all very sad and cried all day, even my stepdaughter who has only known her for a couple of years. I'm going to the nursing home to tell my aunt tomorrow morning. I didn't want to tell her over the phone because I know she will be devastated. Betsy was like her child.

I'm pregnant, due in December and we are hoping for a boy. I put my daughter, who just turned five yesterday (which makes this even more sad), to bed tonight and she asked me "Mommy, if our new baby is a girl can we name her Betsy?" So I calmly explain to her that there is no way I am naming the baby after a sheep. Plus, I'm not fond of the name Betsy. It was ok for the sheep that I didn't name or for someone's grandmother but I am not naming my child after the sheep. Besides, if it's a boy, I've already picked a name. Where do kids get these ideas?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Baby Names

• What a sad story! Your great aunt sounds like a lovely person; I hope she takes the news okay.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Could use that as a middle name. ___ Betsy______

Answer by louise2 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Aww, sorry for your loss. I'm sure your DD just wants to hold on to some memory of her.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Awe that's sad :( They say a close family member or cherished pet dies before every baby is born. Old wives tale but maybe true.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I have a picture of the girls with her so I told them that I would frame it and put it on their wall. I'm doing the same for my aunt. I have one of her with Betsy and she wants that one and the one of the kids.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Such a sad story, so sorry to hear about your sheep.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• ILovemyPaulie, re - what you said ...

I rescued a beautiful black cat from a family who were extremely cruel to him. I called him Cassis because he had a round head like a blackcurrant which is what cassis means in French. He was a good companion (silent, always there but never clingy). When I fell pregnant and was signed off from work (I kept falling asleep at the wheel and I worked 20 miles from home) he spent every afternoon on my windowsill, just chillin' :)

He was hit by a car and died the night I gave birth ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Aw, that's sad! The first time I was pregnant, my collie used to stay by me constantly. I think that she already senses something. She is sitting by me a lot more than she usually does. When I was a little further along, she laid her ear on my belly and would lick where the baby was resting. Now, she is wholly devoted to my kids. I haven't noticed a change in my other dogs' behavior (I didn't have them when I was pregnant with my last baby) but they aren't as sensitive as Maggie.

The pet of family member dying isn't true. My great grandmother died a week before I was born but that has been the only one. Well, now the sheep.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2013