Interesting Study

Young at heart or old before their time? How men feel their age at 58, but for women it's 29

Women consider themselves old at 29 – half the age of men who don’t feel over the hill until they are 58, according to a study.

A quarter of women say they felt old as soon as they spotted their first grey hairs.

In contrast men tend to think they are still young until they can no longer perform in the bedroom.

It is thought that this gulf between the sexes is because age perception is so determined by society’s attitude towards youth and beauty.

The modern woman may feel ‘past it’ if she doesn’t fit an ideal. Men, who are less defined by their looks, refuse to act their age until nearly 60.

Commenting on the findings, psychologist Professor Cary Cooper from Lancaster University said: ‘In our society the attractiveness of women is quite important. Men don’t have to be good looking but, for some reason, it’s important for women to look presentable.

‘Magazines are all about youth and are filled with young, attractive women. Women then start to perceive themselves as old when they no longer feel like this, when they don’t feel trendy or fashionable.

‘Men, on the other hand, don’t have to be good looking, it doesn’t concern them.’

He added: 'At 30, women have matured, they're expected to think about getting married and starting a family.

'While the majority of men are much more career orientated - they don't feel old until they've reached retirement age.'

The study, by Avalon Funeral Plans, also found 10 per cent of women say they feel old when they they think their once-youthful skin has started to sag.

A further 50 per cent said they were still youthful until their ‘assets’ started to droop – often caused by childbirth and breast feeding.

And 3 per cent believed behaving like their mother was a definite sign of old age.

For men it was far more simple – two-thirds said they felt past it only when they could no longer perform in the bedroom. And 22 per cent admitted it was when they thought music had become too loud in bars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369928/Young-heart-old-time-How-men-feel-age-58-women-29.html

Kind of damn sad, if you ask me.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Just for Fun

• That's awful. I have to admit though, I felt old when I turned 25. Old enough I cried about it, tbh. However... I'm now 33 and I have more of a "fuck em" attitude and don't feel old one bit. I know I'm not old.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I cried when I turned thirty, mostly because I was on the brink of divorce and I felt too old to start over--little did I know. My ex had always joked about trading me in for a newer model when I turned thirty, and then it really happened, except no newer model ever materialized that I know of. Anyway, I cried my eyes out, and then my dad pointed out that having another birthday was a far better alternative than missing it, and I had to agree with him. And it turned out my best days were still yet to come.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2013