Red raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy

I've heard great things about drinking red raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy...I read up on it and it's supposed to help with many things but one of the primary things during pregnancy is that it helps tone the uterus to promote stronger and more productive contractions during labor but it does NOT induce labor and it also helps with shortening the time you're in labor. Among those things it is also know to reduce postpartum bleeding and help with healing afterwards.

Anyone drink it during their pregnancy? Was it helpful?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• WebMD says that it's ineffective in helping with delivery, that it does not seem to reduce the length of labor or decrease the need for pain-relieving medication around the time of delivery. They also say that it tends to behave like estrogen and that that can damage your pregnancy... I'd rather err on the side of caution. It's not because it's natural that it's safe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• My doctor said to not drink it until the last month of pregnancy. It tones the uterus but in early pregnancy it can cause contractions, which you don't want.

As with anything that has some form of medicine/medicinal quality, check with your doctor/midwife before taking it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Don't mess with natural herbs in any way during pregnancy. Eat right, exercise, drink plenty of water, limit salt & sugars & take a Multivitamin daily. That's it. Better safe than sorry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I drank it once a day starting at 30-32 weeks, twice a day from 32-36 and three times a day starting at 36-38 when I delivered. I have 3 kids and only did this with the last. I will say it TOTALLY helped promote a stonger uterus with more productive contractions. I got to the hospital already at 5cm and had him 5 hours later. It seems every contraction did its work more effectively this time around.

I talked to my midwife about it and she also encouraged it. There are no warnings against the tea. Evening primrose oil (for cervix) does have warning AGAINST it, so I wouldn't go there.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Oh and I am 11 weeks post, so this is still fresh.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I'm surprised to hear all this negativity. I have heard nothing but good things about it and my OB encouraged it as well. There is no real evidence that it causes contractions...I'll go with my research and what my doc said and continue to drink it.

Thanks for sharing your experience amazinggrace83
    collegexmamix28

Comment by collegexmamix28 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2013