My smart lil guy (18 mo) can operate baby locks, help! He finds ways to reach things too. :o/

adopteeMom

Asked by adopteeMom at 1:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What kind of locks do you have, the knobs on the doors work well when they are little. but be careful with that type of thing. Because if they do need to get out because of an emergency they might not be able to.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Welcome to the wonderful world of toddlerhood! You'll just have to outsmart the little dickens. Put stuff up high, try different locks for cabinet doors till you find one he can't break into.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Magnet locks for cabinets are good and latches high up on doors work well too.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I had to put a hook on the top of my kitchen door to stop mine getting in there if I wasn't in there first. One of the biggest challenges was the toilet. Yes, I wanted them to use it whenever they wanted but I really preferred it if they didn't go in there to play with the toilet block or the toilet brush (yuck!). I had twins and the teamwork they had was incredible. It was really hard to stay one step ahead. :)

What flummoxed me was when one of them at age 2 mastered the art of opening baby gates ... designed to resist children up to the age of 5. What's more, it was my daughter who has Down Syndrome who worked it out ... :) She opened the gate at the bottom of the stairs, climbed up several steps and just sat there and waited for me to notice...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2013