Do you assume...

That anyone who doesn't agree with you is a bully?

OR...

Do you realize that this is a site full of people will differing opinions and expect that when you post something you need to be prepared to back it up, or at least tolerate the fact that there will be people who disagree?

What, in your mind, constitutes bullying on a site like this?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Apparently pointing out that something is fact and another is opinion is bullying on this site. I think disagreements are part of life and in no way are they bullying. If you are going to post on a site like this, not only should you expect people to disagree with you, you should also be prepared for people to not always be nice about the way they reply to you.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• There's no law that says everybody has to agree with me or even like me, and I'm okay with that. It would be awfully boring if we all held the same opinions. I think bullying starts not when someone disagrees with a thought or an idea, but when the comments get snarky and personal, and especially when one person gets snarky and then a whole bunch of others jump on the bandwagon without adding anything productive to the discussion. It doesn't take much thought to call someone a name or question her intelligence. Any bully can do that. But presenting a well thought out differing opinion encourages healthy discussion, which to me isn't bullying at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I think there dissagreements. But I don't consider comments bullying. People are giving their opinion. we can take it or leave it.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• you never Assume its always ends up making an Ass-out of U and Me and its true everyone thinks feels believes differently and u have to respect it whether you agree or not
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I think it's bullying when you start degrading the person for what they believe. Giving an opinion and presenting your side is fine but to start calling one stupid, idiot, etc starts to border on bullying. Many times as an adult we will treat other adults on the internet in ways we wouldn't tolerate in our children.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• My skin is way too thick to be intimidated by people I've never met. I don't really get into the drama on here.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Here's another question, kind of related : do you (general you CM-ers our there) see a difference between saying that a statement or claim is ignorant versus saying a person is stupid? When pertaining to discussion and debate and involving being informed or uninformed on sources and data and so forth? OR is pointing out a statement or claim as ignorant the equivalent, in your opinion, of calling someone stupid?

The way I see it, there is a huge difference, but I'm interested in the consensus of the rest of the members here.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I think you can disagree, but sometimes it's how certain people choose their wording when they disagree. It's not necessarily bullying, but it's not necessarily civil either.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I think there are some people on this site who behave in a bullying manner when disagreeing with others. But I don't think the actual act of disagreeing is bullying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether it's the same as mine or not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• There is very little "bullying" here, but there is plenty of bating. Generally, it's the troll-bait that have the biggest "bullying" hissy when called out on it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2013