Menu planning. Have any new/thrifty or neat ideas?

Making that shopping list. Summer time means more kids' meals at home. Any good suggestions for creative kids' lunches, healthy dinners that go a long way for your buck, creative meals of any kind (for a nice change) or summer treats (I know I asked about summer treats before, but had so many great ideas that who could resist more?!)?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 4:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• It's easy to buy french bread, bagles, little pizza crusts, etc... Let them build their own pizzas.

Also, it's always fun to build your own taco salad and/or nachos.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Great question! I'm needing new ideas too. The kids like making english muffin pizzas and wraps. We are also experimenting with smoothies. Have they tried quinoa? I let them help make a big batch of informal quinoa salad and we'll eat on that a few days. fruit kabobs are cute too.

I try to make extra for dinner so that I can freeze small portions for quick lunches, too. I'm going to check back here for ideas! :)
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• One thing you can do to stretch your budget is to cut the ground beef you use in a recipe by a third. Seriously, nobody will know the difference.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• freezer BAG, hahahahahaha, sorry
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• i found a pretty great and versatile recipe for granola over the weekend and the kids have been eating it up. the base is melted butter, honey & brown sugar in a pot and a splash of vanilla. add your oats, and rice kripsie cereal to make it lighter, flax seed or wheat germ, and almonds. mix together and press into a 13x9, then sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top (mixing them in will make them melt) and put in the fridge for 1.5-2 hours, then cut into bars. you could add dried fruit instead of chips, change up the nuts, add raisins, peanut butter, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I like the recipes where you just put chicken breasts or tenderloins/fingers into a freezer back with whatever else (there are tons of variations) and freeze it until it's time to cook it in the crock pot. I do a LOT of freeze cooking now, and it makes things so much easier. Prepare it all in one go, freeze it, and on the day of just throw it in and forget about it. Usually saves money, too, if you plan meals that have similar ingredients, so you're buying less because you can use what's left of whatever ingredient in more than one recipe. And if I have peppers or onions or other vegetables left over I freeze those too and pull them out whenever. I'm actually getting ready to make a list for DH so he can bring home what I need for this month after work in the AM. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Not a new idea, but my kids always loved making sandwiches in the sandwich maker. They could do pizza filling, breakfast fillings, meat and cheese, taco filling.....and almost any leftovers work well in a sandwich. Mine liked chicken divan, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and even spaghetti in a sandwich.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Great ideas, everyone! Thanks!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I used to have one of those, ohwrite. Gunna have to get me another one! :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2013