Hiding toys?

i just found out my 4 year old hides toys that she doesnt want her siblings to get. she was looking through my oven mitt/dish towels drawer in the kitchen for her chipmunk toy and when i asked her why she gave me this ear to ear grin and just said "because i sometimes put my toys in here". one time in the past, she did my 6 year old's DS from her. it took us over a week to find it, and when asked she kept telling everyone she didn't know and she would even cry about it when pressed. one day she just reached into this space i have in my entertainment center and pulled it out. is this normal behavior among siblings? she is a middle child, if that makes a difference.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have to watch her! She allready a good LIER and she is only 4yo. I feel for you, teen years with her will be hell.

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• she lies about little things all the time.

the other night for example, she ran into the wall, hit her nose and blamed it on her younger sister! she said she hit her when she was clearly all the way downstairs and we were upstairs.

when she was angry the other day, she smashed her new tiara right in front of me and it broke into pieces, then when i said "well now you broke it so i guess it has to go in the garbage" she said she didn't break it!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• She needs counseling. Call ASAP. That no good.
    Anonymous

• care to explain anon?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Geez overreact much anon?

My kids still do that to each other from time to time, and they're 8 and 11. And as far as lying at 4 years old being a sign of brutal teen years to come, come on. I won't say all, but most, kids will lie to keep from being in trouble.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• not only have my kids done it, i have done it for them
    imho, kids need to know that they dont have to share everything
    think about it this way, do you want your relatives coming over to your house and touching, possibly breaking your stuff?
    even as an adult we have things we dont want anyone to touch

perhaps you could reinforce, among all of them that there are certain toys that are just theirs. it empowers them

as to the lying. i stopped asking a long time ago. it allows them to lie (perhaps to avoid getting in trouble or to settle a score with the siblings) i just tell them things like, "why did you...". they try to lie but i say, "i didnt ask if, i asked why".

i also punish lying but not telling the truth. unless its something major i just tell them thank you for being honest. this is what i want you to do next time.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Oh, for god's sake, she does not need counseling!

Yes, it is perfectly normal for her to hide things. My kids do it all the time. It's a child's version of us saying, "This is mine. Please don't touch." Now, if she's hiding toys that belong to her siblings, while still normal, I would curtail that and make sure she understands she can't do that.

The lying - also normal. Not appropriate or acceptable, but normal. I always tell my kids that if they lie to me, they are guaranteed to get in trouble, but if they're honest with me, they might not get in trouble. Most of the time, if they're honest, I just tell them not to do X again, and that's the end of it. They're figuring out that it's better to be honest than to lie.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Issues with confrontation, she is lying to not get in trouble. Kids will say what they think you want to hear. Have you been unnecessarily rough with punishments?
    Anonymous