How many of you have had your identity stolen????

It just recently happened to me! Thousands of $$ stolen from my bank accts......my SS# used in the transactions, had to close all my bank accounts (which were quite a few) and start from scratch! Of course my $ is being replaced by the bank, but how is it that people get a hold of such information? including pin #'s, even though I rarely use my debit cards.... was not sure where to put this.....

Asked by older at 5:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Technology

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Older, how awful! What a pain that is to correct. I haven't been through all that, but I had my credit card info stolen once. I found out when my card was maxed and I hadn't bought flowers or computer equipment. The company dismissed the charges, thank goodness. I have a friend who was actually arrested and hauled off in a squad car because someone had written bad checks after stealing her account info, in a state where anything over $75 was a felony. That was a real mess for her to sort out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Sorry I'm going anon but I have. Someone bought a Volkswagen Beetle in my name! It took me a good year to get everything fixed and this was before there was much attention being paid to it. Now, as much of a pain as it is, I think it's a little easier to get your stuff back on track. I'm sorry this happened to you
    Anonymous

• Not identity stolen but My brother had his credit card # stolen and not sure how cause he never shops online. His bank alerted him after a couple purchases were made in another state.

I had this happen to me too with my bank card. I had shopped online before so someone may have gotten this way. I found out when the bank blocked my card, my bank card was declined at checkout a day after someone tried to make a purchase overseas.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• a couple of my e-mail account have been hacked
    and i knew a guy whose dad stole his identity when he was a toddler
    at 30ish he still had stuff showing against him from all over the southern US
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• The interesting thing is everybody thinks you get your credit card info stolen by shopping online. I buy things online all the time and have never had any trouble, but my info was stolen at a small town mom-and-pop snowmobile rental place.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Hugs mama. That sucks. My husband recently had his card cloned (we think at a gas pump equipped w/ a scanner) & the rotten thieves spent over $1,300 before the bank caught on & shut the card down. We got our money back, filed a police report & notified all 3 credit reporting agencies. Luckily it was just the card number and nothing more. I hope you get it straightened out w/out too much of a headache & time wasted. And I hope they catch whoever did it.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I had my cc # stolen 2 times and my checking account was being used to buy online porn for about 6 months before I noticed it. It was only $40 a month, so I didn't notice it. Now I check EVERY deduction.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• So far. Not me or my DH.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I can't think that I am one of only a few!!!!! in this day and age.....

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I also had to report an alert on all three credit bureaus!!! my credit score is very very high!

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2013