Can someone help me out pleaseeee

I want to go back to school for Medical assistant!! I need to do at least a 1 year program because I'm a single mom. I've tried Sanford brown, but reading the bad reviews, I switched to CHCP the college of health care professionals. The thing is their program is 17000. I got a pell grant for 5550 which the school keeps. And then while I'm at school I have to pay 50 or more a month. So I have to pay about 1,970 by my externship time. Is that a rip off??

What GOOD school would anyone recommend? I'm done wasting time!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in

• If you want the truth, go to a real Nursing School. You will make about 4 x the amount of money, you can apply for various loans, grants and scholarships, you will probably be able to get funded daycare, and in the end you will be far better off. Wasting your time is trying to go to online programs that really aren't going to help you make anything more than $9.00 or $10.00 an hour.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Yes that's a rip off. Go to your local community college.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• just make sure whatever school you go to had the proper accreditation so you can get certified- when I was in Utah, I checked into about 4 schools for it, and ONE had the right accreditation. The others would have basically been ripping me off
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Yep, don't waste your money.. Pick something you will love and make a nice living doing. Paying 17,000.00 to make less than 15.00 is not worth it. Around here, MA's are paid about 8.50-10.00 an hour.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Pick a school with a good reputation, even if it costs more. A certificate from a school with a bad rep is as useless as no education at all, and you still have to pay off the loans.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Why would it be a ripoff. You go in knowing the conditions of the contract. You are getting the services promised (education). They have a right to expect the amount you agree to pay.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Well most school, people are allowed to keep their own grant... This is the first time I've heard about a school taking it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Call your local adult school and see if they offer the program. It's bound to be much cheaper than what you're considering. It's a rip off to pay that much for a medical assistant certificate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Your local community college is most likely cheaper because they are non-profit schools. I've known several people who've gone this route. One of them graduated recently in fact. You should accept any loans they offer for "just in case" emergencies and keep it in a savings account. At the end of the program, if you end up not needing it, you can easily repay the loan. Lock it in now before the loan rates go up in July.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• P.S. I also encourage you to try to become a Registered Nurse. For 2 years of school, you'll end up making around $40-65,000/a year after 1-2 years of experience. No other program beats this except for IT degrees. It will be your best investment ever. And yes, you do have to suffer a little and pay out at first, but the reward will repay for the rest of your life.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2013