My 18 year old son is staying down the shore after prom and I feel anxious about it.

He's going down with a bunch of kids for 3 days. We agreed to it cause he's a good kid, but now I feel worried. I know there'll be drinking , but I worry about binge drinking and drugs. He doesn't have a girlfriend, but is going to the prom with a female friend. I believe we raised him not to engage in promiscuous sex. Am I being naive?

I've talked with him about my concerns, and he reassured me. I want him to have fun and be safe. Any advice appreciated. Please pray the kids stay safe! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd be afraid too. A 15 y/o was shot in the neck on her birthday while walking with a group of girls at 1130pm in a remote area outside of the city. It's awful. Here's the thing though, you can't hide them away till they are 25, you know? At some point they need to go out into the world and learn about it so they can keep themselves safe. One bad hangover may do it for him. Freak things happen and the world is full of bad people. In the case of the girl I mentioned, it was a tragedy. Wrong place at the wrong time and no one will ever know "why."
    This is life unfortunately. As for sex, if you've had the talk, that is about all you can do.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• I don't think you're naive. I went to myrtle beach with friends for a week when I was 17. I didn't drink alcohol at all (my friends did, quite a bit!), and I didn't have sex. At some point you have to trust your kid(s), but as moms we always worry!

Answer by missanc at 8:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Just remind hm that at 18 years old, any illegal activities will result in jail time. He is no longer a child.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Does he have a cell phone so he can call home when his friends aren't looking? Or could you send hm with a phone card? I can't imagine how you'll stand wondering how he is for three days.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• He has a cell phone and he's a good kid. I just worry about teens going wild, peer pressure, binge drinking,etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• If he is 18 he is an adult and can do what he wants, but you do not have to allow him to stay under your roof if he does not comply with your rules. I think sending him into a place that sets him up to be drinking illegally, possible drugs and sex is the wrong choice. If you put him (or yourself) in the lions's den, you have to believe you are going to lose in the long run.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• He's going to college in a few months and he's never caused us grief, so I didn't want to forbid him. It's so hard being a mom!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2013