Charleston, SC- Things to do/see? Places to stay?

My husband will be gone for the whole month of October for training in Charleston. Since our son's birthday is in October, I thought about going to Charleston for his birthday weekend so that he can see daddy and have some special fun. He is 8 and loves history, science, animals, etc. What are some good things to do/see in Charleston? Also, any recommendations on places to stay? We are even open to going camping if there are some good campgrounds nearby.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Travel

• We go often and sometimes just for a day trip. Must eat the hush puppies at Bubba Gump Shrimp company, they are loaded with corn, shrimp etc and please get a slice of The Ultimate Coconut cake from The Peninsula Grill. That restaurant is very fancy but you can get the cake to go.. It was featured several times on The food network..

There is soo much to do and see, just google to get a sense of the area.. As far as places to stay, several hotel are within walking distance to the historical section. Lots of Inns and B&B. We always stayed at the Days Inn because it was so close to where we wanted to be, but the rooms are just OK..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• We stayed right downtown at a Hampton Inn, which was very nice. We toured the downtown area and visited all the "squares." We also took a boat out to Fort Sumter and spend some time out there walking around the old fort. I think we spent about 3 days there and then drove on down to Savannah for a few days. Charleston is a really beautiful city and if your son loves history, he should really enjoy his time there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• My grandparents took me to Charleston when I was 14. Even though I wasn't much into history then (I am now) I loved it. We took a open carriage tour, saw Ft. Sumter, went horseback riding. There is a lot to do there. I remember it being really pretty.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• We go every year. The nicest place to stay is the Lodge Alley Inn, right on Bay St. You can walk to the aquarium and also the port where you go out on the boat to Fort Sumter. On Market St. is an awesome dessert bar called Kaminsky's......nothing but dessert (and alcohol, lol). I highly recommend a carriage ride to give you some history and ideas for things that you want to go back to visit.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2013