Can the police do anything about cyberbullying?

My daughter is getting attacked anonymously on Twitter. Called a fat slut and really nasty things. Can the police track down these people? It is so vicious n cruel! We think we know who's doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• it's worth it to call and see. I suggest she close her twitter account and reopen under a different name (I don't twit so I don't know how it works)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• It should only be worth it if her personal information is used against her in any way. I suppose they might be able to otherwise but I don't know why its worth calling the police over name calling.

worth checking out:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AlIDD1hpwzNdR4Aj5ZpcRi3j1KIX;_ylv=3?qid=20130603140524AA4icBE
    gray187

Answer by gray187 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• check your state statutes
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• It should only be worth it if her personal information is used against her in any way
    BS.
    tell that to the parents of Megan Meier

Since Megan's case many states have enacted laws against cyberbullying.
    How to Google:
    State Name, Cyberbullying Laws

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Start by saving screenshots of everything. The police may or may not be able to help, but you'll need proof. If you think you know who's doing it, how do you know? If you have any way to link the perpetrator to the screenshots, you might have a case for going to Twitter and getting those people shut down.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Nasty girls have been giving her grief for for years. They write enough detail to show they know her. It's not just random. It's too easy to attack people anonymously online!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• As far as I know, law enforcement only gets involved if physical threats to hurt or kill are made. Much of what goes on in FB and Twitter is hateful! People feel empowered by anonymity.
    ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• Have her close the twitter account.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• You NEED to ask the police this... only they can say for sure but I believe they can help in some way.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2013

• start with this site

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2013