Deaf Woman Beaten By Cop Because She Couldn't Hear Him

A deaf woman was beaten black and blue by a cop when she was pulled over and subsequently arrested. She called 911 while she was being beaten to get protection from this senseless beating and to explain that she had hearing disabilities. The full story is in the link below.

I don't care what excuse that cop gave. There is absolutely NO reason to beat someone black and blue. I think cops also need more than a high school education for many reasons, but obviously, they need more common sense.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/woman-calls-911-middle-stop-article-1.1362970

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 3:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. I have actually seen people resist arrest, big giant maven, who sustained almost no injuries. That was excessive and disgusting. So what if she was in a fighter stance? Let's say she was. She was not armed. There was no gun. No need to ever use psychical force unless absolutely necessary. You take the time to talk. Or if there is a communication issue, regardless of why, you wait for back up. There does not appear to be any indication of immediate harm to the officer at the time other than her stance, the way her body appeared, was ready for a fight. I have met with dozens of abuse and rape survivors who take on a very rigid stance when scared. I have seen what could appear as a fighter stance be a I am a confused and scared, ready to defend myself, stance. While we may not have all the information as of yet, it does not look good for the officer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• It sounds as if the details are still unclear. But it's true that sometimes an officer on a power trip will go way too far in the use of force.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• No, cops need to be reprimanded for their actions and stop literally getting away with murder. Pretty much if you are cop you can commit any crime and its ok.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Someone needs to be charged with battery and fired. Cops can break every law in the book and get away with it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I just read the full story. She is dead and mental yet driving and using a cell phone.... I think there is way more to the story.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• The officer ordered her to get back in her vehicle from his running car,

based on that- i would have to see the video
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• If this is the story I think it is (not clicking the link), she hit the cop before he ever laid a hand on her. Granted, it was incidental contact, but she did hit him. Not saying beating her was the right thing either. I think there was a LOT of overreactions on both sides. It was all over the news here last night.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Even if she was "resisting" most cops are carrying tasers now anyway. 2nd, there is no fucking excuse for anybody to look like that. But I do find it interesting when I read..."She is hearing disabled and says she was attacked by the officer before he said anything to her...." She was talking on a cell phone, so she could hear something. Also, most people with any sense, and anyone who watches COPS or any cop drama knows to stay in the car or the cops tend to get antsy. These last few months, cops all over the nation have gotten shot at, shot and killed, been set up and ambushed. Like a cop in I think AZ or something was found dead on a off ramp, he was ambushed. Another story in Ohio 2 cops got shot at when a guy just suddenly gets out and starts shooting. Another similar incident 2 cops pull over a man, then leaves and he starts a police chase,m ending by the guy getting out and shooting at the officers.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• So I can understand why the cop did what he did, but thats still not an excuse for him to do what he did to that woman. That definitely is excessive force.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• "I just read the full story. She is dead and mental yet driving and using a cell phone.... I think there is way more to the story." 

LostSoul, deaf people  can still talk, which is why she would have a cell phone.  She's partially deaf and uses a hearing aid (guessing with her phone, too). I'm sure it's caught on tape, but we all know that cops make mistakes, too.  Cops in my neighborhood are constantly abusing their authority.  For instance, should a cop be fishtailing his cop car in a neighborhood full of children at top speed?  It happens all the time here and they're never chasing anyone. They'll only do this around street corners.

hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2013