Screaming over Ice Cream.

My child arrived late to preschool (about 10:00 am) and missed the activity where the kids made their own ice cream in a plastic bag.

Fair enough, he missed the activity...however when it was time to eat ice cream he had not made any ice cream so he was told he would have to eat apple sauce while every single other kid in the class had ice cream.

This made my son cry like he had done something wrong in the middle of dinner, went out to buy him ice cream and whipped cream too.

Do you think the teachers were in the right in how they handled this?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That is crappy. The teacher should have taken a bit from each kid and shared it around. Not fair for your little guy. I would complain to the teachers.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I think the teacher was in the wrong... They should have made extras in case a child came later. It wasn't his fault he was late, poor thing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Did you call & say you were going to be late? If so then they should have made one for him. If not then they just didn't think he was coming in I guess. Maybe they could have treated him to be line leader of something else to make up for it though. Poor little guy. I hate when those things happen. My Son is a very sensitive boy too. I try to head off any mishaps.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Awwww, poor baby. That's so wrong. Too bad nobody offered to share with him.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Maybe the teachers did not explane it right, about the ice cream. So he understood why it was that way.
    They should have extra icream in the frig for this..

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Actually the other kids came from class upset that he did not get ice cream and told their parents it was not fair. I usually assume when things happen like this that there is more to the story and give the teacher's the benefit of the doubt but in this case there was no misunderstanding.
    hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I would be livid. Your son did nothing wrong, and he should have been allowed to eat ice cream with the other kids. Maybe you can make ice cream in a plastic bag with him at home. I have a recipe; I'll post it when I find it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2013