There's a five dollar fine for whining ... and I'm paying in advance.

My boyfriend is leaving this afternoon for a trip out of state to help his parents with their estate sale. It's only four days and four nights, he'll be back Sunday, but I'm nervous. It's stupid. I'm perfectly competent at handling things on the home front. But I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about all kinds of "what if" crap that won't happen. You know, burglars, fires, dumb stuff. It's been making me have anxiety symptoms all day. I don't get it. I lived on my own for years and never worried. But somehow, now that I have a little girl who depends on me for safety, everything feels different.

Am I losing my mind, or does any of this make sense?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• Totally normal, I feel like that a lot with my special needs kids and am always calling my mom for help and advice. lol. Just sit down and relax, have a cup of tea and do your best to not thinking about the what if's. I know that's hard to do but know that you are a great mom, and a mature and responsible woman who can handle anything that comes her way! Good luck and keep your chin up :)
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 5:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Happens to me too when my dh leaves town. I think it is pretty normal. Bug hugs. It will be okay.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• it makes sense. I'm sure everything will be fine.Take a breath :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• It makes perfect sense and it is absolutely normal.
    I sleep with my phone on my bed if DH has to go out of town even for a night. My anxiety is dead sure he is going to die and I am not going to be there. My brain says I am absolutely losing my hold on reality and they fight the whole time he is gone. I function perfectly well and so does he. I found out recently he does the same thing. She it is a secret. lol
    Just be sure to watch all happy movies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• You are 100% normal, this happens to new parents and old alike......

Answer by older at 3:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• LOL! It is funny to me when I here women freak out because their DH/SO is away from home for 1 night or a week.

My DH is Retired Army. Was gone from home for months sometimes. Sometimes a year. It doesn't bother me for him to be gone.
    I just do what I always do.

Answer by louise2 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Keep yourself busy so you don't have to time to sit & think of the "what-if's". Besides, I'm sure you have a plan for those "what ifs" anyways. If it's a burglar, shoot him. If there's a fire, get out. Anything breaks, fix it, or wait for him to come home to fix it! lol :p I'm betting you may actually enjoy the time away & it won't be as bad as you think! :) Besides, there's always us! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2013