Texas schools allowed to out gay students to their parents without consent adult content

http://www.dallasvoice.com/kilgore-update-10149527.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DallasVoice+%28Dallas+Voice+Feed%29

“It’s one thing to say that conduct by LGBT people can’t be criminalized under the Constitution,” Krause said in 2011, referring to the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Lawrence v. Texas, which overturned the state’s sodomy ban. “It’s another to say there’s an explicit constitutional right to have information about sexual orientation be kept confidential.”

In what universe is this any of the school's fucking business to begin with?  And how long until the first student winds up beaten, homeless, or both because some tactless bible banging asshole secretary decides to "report" them?

Added bonus- this happened because some vindictive twat of a coach was upset about rumors that she was gay, so she locked the girl up and held her against her will before then outing her to her mother.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not think it is any more confidential than if the child is heterosexual.

On the other hand I have yet to come up with a scenario in my head where it would need to come up in a conversation between school and parents unless a problem which involved that behavior came up at school, having sex in the stairwell (either flavor)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

How old were you when the school called your mother and told her you were straight?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• What the fuck! How is that allowable? Especially locking a girl up? Seriously? Isn't this a breach in privacy laws or do they think minors aren't allowed any privacy? Apparently the federal government doesn't care about the young people of american and what can happen to them. Kids should be able to "come out" on their own time and when they are ready. Not when some sick up the ass school wants to punish them.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• What the hell?

NOT okay...at all. It is none of the school's business first of all and there is NO way that they should have the right to tell ANYONE even if they DO know.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• That's a really scary thought. Will the schools be liable when kids get killed by their enraged parents? Because I could see that happening. Lives will be ruined, and probably lost, over this.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• If my child were breaking school rules by engaging in sexual physical contact at school (making out or more) then I'd want to know. But, if no rules have been violated then it is not the school's place.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Disgusting. Any time I think I've heard it all about this state I live in, something has to top it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• If my child is involved in ANY kind of sexual activity and the school knows about it...I need to know about it too.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

Because, of course, it's not possible to be gay without engaging in sexual activity. Do you actually believe these things or do you just type them to troll?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• ohhh Kilgore, TX. DH grew up in Tyler (bout 30 mins away) and a good friend of mine is from Kilgore...honestly, from what ive seen and been told this does not surprise me.

what happened to the coaches that locked her up? i mean that has got to be illegal! of course i agree that teachers shouldnt be allowed to out students or report to parents, but then i wont be a teacher who gives a frick if my students are gay or straight, or if they start some stupid rumor. its not offensive to be called gay when you arent...unless you're a bigot with a complex. i have a feeling this wont get resolved until a gay kid gets hurt b/c of some idiot teachers righteous douche-dom.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2013