$100 to feed 6 for 1 week. What would YOU buy?

I'm trying to cut back on the grocery budget, and also diversify what we eat. I'm in a rut. So, what would you buy to feel 2 adults and 4 kids(youngest is 4, oldest is 10 if it makes any difference)? No food restrictions, except we don't eat fish(except fish sticks very rarely).

EDIT: I forgot to add that we have 2 1.75 pound london broils in the freezer, plus bone in chicken(a ton, husband works at a poultry plant), and big bag of potatoes and a couple of tomatoes.

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 6:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Chicken, burgers, hotdogs, roast, veggies, spaghetti, fresh fruit,
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Well, what kind of food do you already have in the house? I usually spend about $100 a week to feed 5. I buy milk, OJ, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, cereal, cream for my tea - those are the basics I buy every week. Then I just buy things as we need them to restock the supply of food I have in the house - things like various pastas, rices, stuffing, mac & cheese, various fresh and frozen veggies, cheese, butter, popsicles, ice cream, yogurt, apples, grapes, condiments and salad dressings, etc. Of course, I also go once or twice a month and stock up on meat for the freezer, which is separate from the $100 I spend every week.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I'd have to start by asking what you eat now?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I have a couple of almost 2 pound London broils, plenty of chicken(bone in, no whole birds), eggs, pasta, rice, butter, some canned goods like condensed soups and some veggies(not a lot of those, they go quick)... I also have fries in the freezer, a pack of fish sticks, and I think that's about it. I'm trying to branch out from our normal fare.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Potatoes. Very smart! You can add potato shreds to ground beef for tacos and no one will notice. Pasta and sauce for a 4 dollar dinner. Eggs for hard boiled eggs. You can cook up some rotini pasta and add eggs pickles and vegetable scraps and beans and dressing for a quick pasta salad. Dollar canned or frozen veggies for sides and rice a roni boxes. A bag of carrots is cheap and you can peel slice and roast for a side. Find your grocery sales and do it mama!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Eggs, bread, milk, fruits & veggies (what about breakfast? do you need cereal or oatmeal?)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I would also suggest you grow a garden this year! Then your vegetables will be covered :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Do you want to continue doing this, or just for this week? I would think you get free chicken? Anything else? I would never eat canned vegetables, no nutrients at all. Better off buying fresh on sale, I will wait for you to come back and I will tell you how I feed my smaller family on $50 per week, including most cleaning stuff.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• 2kids2dogs2cats- I'd love to hear it! I'm all for saving a buck here and there :) I'd like to reduce my grocery bill overall for the long haul, actually. The chicken is not free, but it IS deeply discounted. We buy it by the case when they put out the flyer with what they have on it. Sometimes that means 40 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast for 10$(sometimes $20, but I'm NOT complaining!!!), or breaded chicken made for a certain restaurant in the area that they made too much of, etc, just depends on what they have extra of. We don't tend to buy the dark meat, like thighs, but do get wings on occasion too. I totally agree about the canned veggies, too, but sometimes it's about pleasing the hubby or kids, so a compromise, I suppose.

staciandababy- we have a garden going already! We have corn up(what the squirrels haven't gotten yet!), tomato plants, zucchini, cucumbers, cabbage, squash, watermelon, and peppers.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I plan to put up what I can, like the squash, tomatoes, corn, etc, so it won't get wasted. We planted more than we needed to eat fresh :)

These are all great ideas- I'm just trying to see how other people eat, what they would buy, because we eat basically the same meals all the time, and sometimes it's not so healthy stuff. I'm trying to get the kids into helping me in the kitchen because I've noticed they eat much better when they do, too.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2013