Is a sippy cup really necessary?

I've been trying to get my 6 almost 7 month old to use a sippy but he hates it. He will however use it with the top off like a normal cup. He just can't hold it yet. Is that okay too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes its just fine. you may have messier days, but its not at all necessary.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• no
    Anonymous

• Yes, that is fine, we do that w/ our son. Of course you have to hold the cup and help him. He will do better w/ sippies when he gets older.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I skipped the sippy cup completely the second time around. My youngest went straight from the boob to a straw or open cup. It was easy and I wish I had done it that way the first time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You could also try a straw...less mess than an open cup. But if you're going to help him, an open cup is fine! At this age it doesn't matter what they get their nourishment in...as long as they get it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• it is better if they never have a sippy actually! I wish I could get my DD off hers!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What is he drinking at that age that needs a cup at all? Breastfed babies are to get breastmilk only, and i think you have to be careful about not giving formula babies water, too.
    elizapark

Answer by elizapark at 9:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It's fine, just keep doing what your doing, my daughters liked the cups with the straws in them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Why cant they have water? All of my babies loved water at that age. My 11 month old wont drink from a sippy cup so she drinks from a open cup. It is a little messy but I put a bib on her and it all works out.
    Anonymous

• He gets an ounce of distilled water after his cereal at night. I tried that stuff once and it made me so thirsty. So he gets a little water after it. It's not a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2009