Welp, there goes my mother of the year award.

I just realized I completely forgot about my son's last IEP meeting of the year yesterday. I remembered last week, completely forgot by Monday. I feel horrible. In my measly defense, I'm still new to this whole ordeal plus with registering him for Kindergarten and making his doctors appointments I've had a ton of dates to remember lately (plus this is the first time they didnt send home a reminder!). But still. How horrible am I? And I only have one kid!!! Have you ever missed an important meeting for your kids? Please lie and say yes!

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• LOL I don't remember but I can almost positively say yes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Yep. I missed my son's concert a couple weeks ago. I felt horrible about it. I've also been late to many appointments, some due to forgetting until the last minute.

Also, I've been to my share of IEP meetings and can tell you that most are just a waste of time. It's basically everybody in the room reading the same piece of paper and then opening up for Q&A. They will either contact you to reschedule or just send you the papers. After reading thru everything, feel free to contact whoever organized the meeting with any questions or comments you have.

Try setting reminders in your phone. I would be totally lost without mine.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I forgot to schedule an end-of-the-year conference with my daughter's pre-K teacher, so I can very definitely say yes. Your award and mine are in the shredder together--oh well. There's always the next one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I've never missed an IEP meeting, but I forgot to turn in the paperwork for my son to go to Midnight Madness. I felt bad about it, but luckily he forgot about it too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• I always feel like I am back in school and there's a pop quiz when people ask me their birthdates. Fortunately for me my kids have a sense of humor and know I am going to freeze. They just answer the question themselves :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2013

• Haha at least I'm not alone, or at least you all were nice enough to lie lol (jk). The meetings do seem to be a bit redundant, especially because he's always at 100% mastery of his goals making me question yet again why he's even in the class, but still. Phone reminders are a great idea. Will have to start using them!!!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• You can have that rescheduled to the beginning of the new school year.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2013